Stash in the house

For all things financial
Arzosah

Re: Stash in the house

Post by Arzosah »

Maybe for most of us it becomes about *layers* of stash. Thinking of if I wasn't in the house, even just in the back garden, and somebody broke in at the front:

- fake handbag downstairs.
- real handbag upstairs
- a stash thats meant to be found
- maybe another stash thats meant to be found.
- the majority of my stash, thats meant to stay hidden.

The tactic I'm thinking of would hopefully avoid the situation that junmist describes, where there's a lot of destruction because they're looking for your hiding places. Let them find something, basically. Maybe you'd safeguard 70% of your stash money and 90% of your goods, because they wouldn't have ripped them apart looking for more money.

I don't think there can be an answer thats means no thief will ever find your stuff - all we can do is tip the odds in our favour.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

you have to have lots of places for hiding your stash you just don't know who might ransack your house either before shtf or after I've a number of places I hide equipment, money, resources although obviously im not putting them online and even if whoever gets in if they find anything they'll take it, now a days people seem to be bothered with things that can be linked to you to ransack you in other ways laptops/phones with valuable info - ie pin codes for cards bank info on laptops. This seems to be a big problem in this day and age, I've been trying to keep online banking secure and try and use more hard copy info rather than lots of banking details on my tablet and phone. . ps arzosah loving your blog intelligent writing forward thinking and well planned out bravo loving it keep it coming !
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Rob B wrote:. ps arzosah loving your blog intelligent writing forward thinking and well planned out bravo loving it keep it coming !
Thank you Rob, much appreciated :)
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

your welcome arzosah, having read a lot of American prep and survivalist blogs.posts etc I get a bit sick of the what gun to carry yee ha ! I appreciate quite a few American prep,survivalists are just like me and you but it can be a little to much and all your blogs and info are set out and well balanced so yeah its great to read and informative and I get another view on the world :) keep up the good work !
peejay

Post by peejay »

This is an oldish topic but I'm now looking to keep some cash for the unexpected, but in my case I'm primarily thinking of something that has impacted home (fire etc.) that causes me to leave in a hurry, possibly needing to grab an emergency hotel for a night or two.

The thing is, the first thing I'd go for would be my wallet anyway (I notice a missing wallet within walking 3 feet from the front door!) so I'd have my cards in there & be able to use those to pay, and if I don't have time to grab my cards (perhaps because I'm clambering out of the bedroom window in the middle of the night!) then I'm not likely to be able to grab a suitably hidden stash of cash either (e.g. under-stairs or wherever).

I do have a council garage about a mile away where I could probably find a spider-web covered little corner to put some, but then I might not have the keys to get into it for the same reason!

We do have the caravan which would be my first choice over a hotel anyway but it's in a compound that doesn't have access from 8pm -> 8am during winter plus, again I'd need the keys/swipe card etc. to gain access.

I have an abundance of pelicase 1400's that were being disposed of at work as no longer required so I could potentially bury one in the garden but I'm not sure how it'd hold up underground long-term.

(Having just typed the above it's dawned on me that the spare car key might actually be more useful upstairs rather than downstairs for the escape reasons so I'm glad I even posted this in the first place at least!)

I do have a slight fear of being burgled - family home got done 3 times in 2yrs years ago, plus I know the neighbour was done where I am now a few years ago so I'm not particularly keen on having it immediately to hand in a very useful grab bag for a thief to run off with either!

Any other thoughts in this scenario?
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I'm a great believer in the old fashioned ways - if you could somehow get duplicate keys and a spare card plus some cash and bury it in the back garden? A biscuit tin sealed inside & out with clingfilm would work. That works for having to bail out of the house in a hurry plus no burglar would ever find it. As long as you have a back garden lol - not a lot of use in you're in a block of flats... :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

If you have a shed putting a combination lock on means you don't need a key to get in an out. Easy enough to hide a small tin with a spare key/cash or whatever.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I do have a garden but don't (yet) have a shed but am liking the concept of combination lock to save dependency on keys for certain things.

(I'm actually desperate for a shed but would also love a workshop so am torn between putting up a wooden shed for now (to tidy sheddy type stuff) or building one based on concrete blocks - gotta decide if the investment is worth it longer-term).
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote:If you have a shed putting a combination lock on means you don't need a key to get in an out. Easy enough to hide a small tin with a spare key/cash or whatever.

Or "sunk" in a tub of paint as only you will know it's there and if shtf a bit of paint on your hands meh... Make it red paint that way any their gets caught re. ............ ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Deeps wrote:If you have a shed putting a combination lock on means you don't need a key to get in an out. Easy enough to hide a small tin with a spare key/cash or whatever.

Or "sunk" in a tub of paint as only you will know it's there and if shtf a bit of paint on your hands meh... Make it red paint that way any their gets caught re. ............ ;)
Chances are though, its not going to be a SHTF situation, it will be you coming back pished or whatever. If you want to hide something long term its a great idea but if its a 'spare key' type thing (and you need a friend or relly to use it to feed the cats/dogs or whatever) then it would be a bit bizarre to tell them to pour out the tin of red paint. I do dig the red handed bit though. :lol: