Refrigeration.

Homes and Retreats
shocker

Re: Refrigeration.

Post by shocker »

Deeps wrote:
shocker wrote:
Deeps wrote:As for tinned food, as Gunny Highway says, "improvise, adapt and overcome". ;)
Another Hearbreak-er! "Its a clusterf*&k!" ...classic :D :D ;)
"This doesn't mean we'll be swapping spit in the shower". :lol:
Oooh, you...! Feels like Im home already! :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but I've come home to find that a chunk of my house has no power because a major set of fuses has gone. This includes the fridge freezer. I've been asking Mr Google how long the fridge and freezer will last without power if I don't open the door. 2 hours without power for the fridge seems to be the consensus. Does that sound right? Since the freezer can apparently go for over 48 hours, it seems a bit low for the fridge.

The boiler's buggered too, but that's another story. That'll be me having a shower at work tomorrow then...
peejay

Post by peejay »

(Not sure if the image will work - first time trying to post an inline image here)

When I was working overseas as a deployed civvie, we'd regularly find ourselves without hot water in the mornings so placement of my radiator had multiple purposes:
1) It heated the cabin as you'd expect
2) It heated the bunker wall, thus creating some nice storage heating for a cosy sleep at night
3) I always kept a couple of 2L bottles of water on top of it as we regularly found ourselves without hot water to wash in the mornings, so this ensured I had at least 4L to do so :)
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Ooh, that's clever Peejay!

All is well now - turns out my (darling) cousin had fused his flat and therefore part of my adjoining bungalow by overuse of one of those strip plugs :roll:

Then there was a leak from his defrosted fridge onto said overloaded plugs so every time we fixed the fuses it would go again. Should be sorted now.

I think the freezer is fine, but I'll deal with any problems with the contents of the fridge tomorrow - it's been a fun evening... not!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Le Mouse wrote:Ooh, that's clever Peejay!

All is well now - turns out my (darling) cousin had fused his flat and therefore part of my adjoining bungalow by overuse of one of those strip plugs :roll:

Then there was a leak from his defrosted fridge onto said overloaded plugs so every time we fixed the fuses it would go again. Should be sorted now.

I think the freezer is fine, but I'll deal with any problems with the contents of the fridge tomorrow - it's been a fun evening... not!
Glad its sorted, if you have space in the freezer putting bottles of frozen water in to keep your fridge cool works, assuming you realise it early enough to keep the temperature down. For chest freezers you can through a blanket/duvet or two over them to try and insulate them.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi Mouse, I'm glad you could find the source of the problem - and I hope your lovely cousin learns the error of his ways :)