shtf /mass casualty help me kits

Medical and Healthcare
Jamesey1981

Re: shtf /mass casualty help me kits

Post by Jamesey1981 »

They all did their jobs admirably, I didn't mean to imply that they didn't, but more than a couple needed counselling afterwards, which I don't think anyone could blame them for, no matter the uniform, there's a human underneath it, that was what I was getting at rather than them not doing what they were supposed to be doing, not sure if that's how it looked so thought I'd better clarify.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jamesey, how horrendous :( I didn't realise you'd been in that. I would imagine a good many of the responders were traumatised by it all, as well as the victims like yourself.

I'll have to reconsider this situation - I don't carry anything for a mass casualty situation - mostly because I carry as little as possible, I'm always in pain with arthritis in my shoulder joints, carrying even a woman's handbag is a problem a lot of the time. But maybe there's something.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote:Jamesey, how horrendous :( I didn't realise you'd been in that. I would imagine a good many of the responders were traumatised by it all, as well as the victims like yourself.

I'll have to reconsider this situation - I don't carry anything for a mass casualty situation - mostly because I carry as little as possible, I'm always in pain with arthritis in my shoulder joints, carrying even a woman's handbag is a problem a lot of the time. But maybe there's something.

A basic first aid kit would be a massive help bit like most things if everyone had one handy lots of lives could be saved..

http://uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 10#p102812

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12132

If I was to carry ONE item after my most recent first aid at work course we got introduced to the olaes dressing pack:

https://www.prometheusmedical.co.uk/equ ... ar-bandage

But they ain't cheap!
https://m.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand_O ... 896_1.html

But on the balance of probability a few plasters and a normal wound dressing would be more use on a day to day basis. Most injuries are caused by slips trips and falls . I've done first aid in the street on strangers getting on 10 times in the past 5 or so years

Worst in terms of "gore" was an old lady who had fallen and nutted / face planted a wall smashing her head/ nose/ split her lips and chin on a wall as she went.

Best thing we could do for her having bandaged the main bleeder headwound was reassure her as she was in shock and keep her warm with her sat up head forward to secure her airway. Me behind her in case she fell back and Mrs andy in front talking to her putting the world to rights The PCSO who stopped stood back and left me and Mrs andy to it as we had it" all under control " I don't think he did blood ;). But to a old lady a man in uniform was a big moral boost ;)

Not that we made her nervous, the fact Mrs had her big retail store uniform on and I had my first aid high vis vest on ( pile of gloves in the pocket ;) put her at ease that we wasn't about to leg it with her handbag
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

The first "bad one" always hits the hardest, and it's tougher if you lose people, even if you don't know them, I suppose it's because you try to help, you sort of feel a bit like you do know them. Sounds daft maybe, but thats what I found.
After that it seems to get easier, the shock effect isn't there after the first one, you've seen the blood and guts and so on and it's just crack on with it.
I do like the idea of the mass kits, think I'm going to have to make one up from my stores.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

That dressing pack looks pretty handy, sure it's not cheap but it looks like it could replace several items so when you think about it it's not that bad, nice and compact too.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:They all did their jobs admirably, I didn't mean to imply that they didn't, but more than a couple needed counselling afterwards, which I don't think anyone could blame them for, no matter the uniform, there's a human underneath it, that was what I was getting at rather than them not doing what they were supposed to be doing, not sure if that's how it looked so thought I'd better clarify.
Sorry if I implied otherwise mate, not my intention. I was speaking from a personal view on completely different situations. Us people are complex and react differently to different situations. I just hope that if I'm unfortunate enough to be in a similar situation I react as well as you did.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Fair enough deeps, I just didnt want anyone thinking I was criticising the responders, I got to leave, they all had to stay and work through it, and work through it they did.
My opinion of Railtrack and Thames trains is rather different though.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

sniper 55 wrote: I do like the idea of the mass kits, think I'm going to have to make one up from my stores.

Look at the 50 person first aid kits as a good base

Refill "kits" without the snazzy box can be had fairly cheap

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HSE-Person-Fir ... B00AMIQLW6
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
sniper 55 wrote: I do like the idea of the mass kits, think I'm going to have to make one up from my stores.

Look at the 50 person first aid kits as a good base

Refill "kits" without the snazzy box can be had fairly cheap

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HSE-Person-Fir ... B00AMIQLW6
Thanks Andy.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

I'm not going to list the many incidents I've been at involving multi or numerous casualties because i'll be letting my black dog out and I cant let that happen, however the more you go to the easier it is to see through that first Oh my F@cking God moment.

I found that actually doing something, anything to keep busy helped, after all when there are limbs and dead kids and people all over the place and the utter destruction and the noise and the begging for help and the panicked survivors coming to you cos your the one in uniform how the hell do you cope, but you do.

We were told if your first at the scene, stay out and give as much info as possible to control and become the forward operational point lock yourself in the vehicle, yeah right ,when a mum comes to you with her dead kid and begs you to help, to do something, you try staying locked in, anyway,

any training you can do in-relation to first aid helps but no matter how much kit you have you will need a lorry full, so keep it simple:- breathing, bleeding, breaks and burns, should generally keep you on track and use survivors to help you and don't get side tracked cos someone will always believe they need help more

As I've said do something and understand that people will die no matter what you do and seek professional help as soon as you can afterwards cos you will be affected and it's normal to feel shite afterwards and for some time after.

Gosh what a bloody ramble that was hopefully you cant understand what I mean
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea