Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
Jamesey1981

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Good stuff, can't beat the six cell, keep it up at eye level with the main body resting on your shoulder, (watch any old cop show if you don't know what I mean) makes it a lot easier to hold it on target and makes for an easy swing if need be, either for a collar bone (good non lethal option and at least temporarily disables that arm) or if you have an armed attacker and need to use possibly lethal force (and bear in mind that it could well be just that) then I'm sure you can figure out what to do, just remember that you'll need to justify any action you take so read up on the law before you need to rely on it, it makes interesting reading as it goes, some changes were made a couple of years ago to give you more rights to defend yourself in your own home, so we actually have more legal protection than a lot of people think.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

mightymayesy wrote:Very excited to heed the advice of the forum and have just ordered the 6D Maglite.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Learning all the time from you great bunch.
I really cannot wait to be able to mount these by the entry / exit points to inspect any sounds / movements even in the dead of night given the light it produces.
MM
.....or you could use smaller brighter lights that are much cheaper for 'lighty stuff' and just keep a 6 'D' by the bed. Unless you live in downdown Mogadhisu then you'll probably not need an appliance at each entry point and if you have an upstairs then in a burglar situation they'll probably not risk going upstairs. From what you've posted you'll be of a similar attitude to myself, I'll be dealing with any home invasion myself as a first point of call but that doesn't mean you need a 'deterrent' at each access point, it means you need one to hand. Look at it the other way, if a burglar notices it on the way in.....

On the whole 'deal with it myself' that might not be for everyone, and I'm hoping that I get old enough that its not for me either, I know we tend to look at prepping (or things generally) from our own viewpoint but the whole 'invasion' stuff is frightening, you do what you do but if you have a 'tool' by every door in a 'normal' situation and it gets questioned you don't have a leg to stand on. Have a big torch that you go down the stairs with, you have a better chance. We don't live in the wild west, make the most of the good stuff and prepare for the bad stuff mate.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Please, nobody go hitting anyone in the head, for any reason. So many bad things can happen, so easily, as I have cause to know.

In fact, why not explore the LED torches strobe functions ? Much better to dazzle and disorientate a potential bad guy, than to belt the bloke from 2 doors down coming home drunk (lost his keys, wrong house) when he tries to come through a window.

It sounds ridiculous I know, but again, I have cause to know, it happened twice when I lived in the city. Completely innocent yet idiotic, both times. Could so easily gone very badly wrong for all concerned.

I don't have any of the modern LED maglites, just some of my old incandescent bulbed ones left over from work. But I do have several cheap chinese copies of modern "tactical" flashlights and they all have strobe functions and sturdy alloy cases. Use of the focusing lens and the strobe produces a really good, defensive effect. If held as Jamesy describes the light would be right in a bad guys face, leaving them helpless...and if it turns out to be a 7 stone, skin and bone weed, or even the p!ssed bloke from down the road, then bundle them out the door and no harm done.

But please, no headshots, for your own and your families futures sake, eh ? Or do it just for me, make old Shocksi happy ! Everyone loves a happy Shocker ;)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

shocker wrote:But please, no headshots, for your own and your families futures sake, eh ? Or do it just for me, make old Shocksi happy ! Everyone loves a happy Shocker
For some reason I found that touching, I must be going soft :oops: Or it could be the humanity of if, I was talking to an ex policeman at the club a while back who explained how people can be easily subdued in handcuffs with a little twist and vulnerable bits with truncheons, I'm not a hit first type of person as a rule, probably wouldn't open a door to smack someone - but then I'm a very short drive away from the nightlife in this city at night, response times are good, the inner doors and furniture would be enough of an obstacle for me to come to a fair conclusion as to an intruders intent ( and they would be in at that point) alarms going off all the lights on and people shouting, all depends on your situation i suppose, but in essence I am saying doing anybody any harm is never top of my list, not least because I like my freedom ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I won't add anything to the weapon or otherwise debate but rather I'll mention a couple of things I've come across. One was a customer who had their house entered by the very simple act of the burglar ( technically I think they should be termed housebreaker as the offence occurred during daylight) who threw a large concrete garden ornament through the French door. In many respects this is very difficult to counter , I'd say there's something to use in that way in pretty much every garden in the country. One of the other threads did mention using security glass or a cheaper , though slightly less effective , option of security film. Obviously move anything heavy as far away as possible from windows but hiding or locking it all way is probably beyond the realms of possibility .
Another thing I have seen is again a pretty obvious one with regards to fencing but it's one that many people seem to miss. The concrete slotted posts and panels are very common and I've seen many people put those plastic spikes on the top edges to deter someone climbing over and have a bolt and padlock on the gate. What some overlook is just how easy it is to lift the panel up and gain entry that way. A couple of bits of metal screwed from one panel to another solves that problem.
There are several gardens that I work at where I have to get into in a very similar manner to a burglar . One I have to climb over the fence every week and on a few others while I have a key if they forget to draw the bolt I'm still left having to climb over. Try it with your own property , think about how you would get in or try to get in without keys , put yourself in the position of someone trying to get in is a good starting point especially when there's no one waiting inside with a very heavy torch or a fire extinguisher.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi all,
A super simple home security upgrade here;
Park as close as you can to your garage door.
Stop the scum getting close enough to play with your garage door.
More to follow on garages.
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Another simple idea.
Always turn on your front door light before you go to bed....... it means you are home.
It also illuminates your drive and make an undetected approach that little more difficult.
A burglar would rather target an empty house and have an easy life.
The name of the game is that all your security upgrades culminate into a discreet hassle heavy fortress!
Last edited by mightymayesy on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

These are solar motion detection security lights.
I have 12 around my perimeter and they are amazing. They charge in DAYlight and not SUNlight and work through the gloomiest winter days.
Fully recommend!
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG

mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi all,
Thanks for the idea of a torch.
Tested out the beam last night and definitely can't see in the dark with a bit of wood that it replaces.
On reflection I think a powerful torch is a far better idea. Dazzle into somebody's face and you can stay behind your door for safety!
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

mightymayesy wrote:Another simple idea.
Always turn on your front door light before you go to bed....... it means you are home.
I do this, but since travelling (and staying) away a lot more recently, I've realised that either I switch it off, and advertise that I'm *out*, or leave it on during the day and also advertise that I'm out, to anyone scouting the area anyway. I think the answer has to be using a sidelight and putting it on a timer when I'm away. Haven't done it yet tho :oops:

Still loving this thread, thank you mayesy!