Fire-lighters

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Deeps

Re: Fire-lighters

Post by Deeps »

It would be a dry old forum if we were just debating the best way to decapitate zombies. :D
shocker

Post by shocker »

That old Dick Emery quote is hovering again .... :lol:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:That old Dick Emery quote is hovering again .... :lol:

Although I say it myself, I'm a much more convincing transvestite. :)
shocker

Post by shocker »

I know ! Its very convincing, Cynthia. Have I said something I shouldnt have again ? Sorry, Cyn :oops:

:lol: :lol:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Deeps wrote:It would be a dry old forum if we were just debating the best way to decapitate zombies. :D
Bad plan.... You have to make two trips on clean-up :twisted:

I can report back that the firelighters I posted are only good as firelighters, even burning several at once didn't manage to boil water.... Dropping down to half a pint just left me with half the amount of slightly hotter water :(
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Deeps wrote:It would be a dry old forum if we were just debating the best way to decapitate zombies. :D
You are so right mate.

(can we have a thumbs up icon?)
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

One thing I learnt recently is that you can use steel wool and a V9 battery to start a fire. It'll even light when soaking wet as it relies on electricity to complete the circuit and provide the heat.

Since learning about it I've also added it to my firelighting kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbwNJhJwnSs
shocker

Post by shocker »

Yes, I used that one back in the 70s to get my scout firelighting badge. You only need a little wire wool, well fluffed out. I, however, used a whole pack. My father was less than amused when he went to use some and it wasnt there. I did get called a "smartarse" by the scoutleader. Got the badge though. :mrgreen:

It doesnt need to be a nine volt battery, though that works better. If you use less wirewool and fluff it sparse, smaller batteries work fine.

Handy tip though, I keep some in my go-bag in a ziplok.
Bearded Prepper

Post by Bearded Prepper »

MBJ wrote:One thing I learnt recently is that you can use steel wool and a V9 battery to start a fire. It'll even light when soaking wet as it relies on electricity to complete the circuit and provide the heat.

Same thing can be done with the chewing gum wrappers (ones in the sticks wrapped in paper foil not the new tablet things) if you tear the foil thin enough it will act like a fuse, heat up and ignite with a standard AA battery.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

MBJ wrote:One thing I learnt recently is that you can use steel wool and a V9 battery to start a fire. It'll even light when soaking wet as it relies on electricity to complete the circuit and provide the heat.

If you tie a bundle of it on the end of a bit of wire or stick in one of those metal hand wisk thingies you can twirl it around as a signal.