How skilled are you?

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
MBJ

How skilled are you?

Post by MBJ »

Hello there fellow preppers,

I'm fairly new to prepping and so I've been doing a lot of thinking about skills vs equipment. Of course gear is very important and it could save your life one day, but do you know how to use it? What skills do you have? Could you learn more?

Below is a fairly comprehensive list of skills that you may potentially need in any given disaster situation. There are 60 in total divided into 10 sub categories. Please read through them and give yourself a score out of 60. I got a score of 17 :cry: so I know I definitely need to learn more things.

Air - A lack of safe oxygen will kill you in minutes.
1. How to identify a quality gas mask (old military surplus masks often have asbestos in them or are shoddy at best).
2. How to operate a gas mask.
3. Know how to operate a gas detector.
4. Know the signs of a gas attack.
5. Know which filters work for what gases.
6. How to decontaminate from a gas attack.

Shelter – A lack of adequate shelter can kill you in hours.
7. Learn how to save money, invest and increase your wealth to prepare financially so you don’t lose your home.
8. Know how to do basic maintenance on your property.
9. Know how to secure your property.
10. Know how to build a primitive shelter.
11. Knowledge of how to tie various knots.
12. Know which materials are best to prevent exposure.
13. How to build a fire for warmth / cooking- without a lighter.

Water – a lack of safe water can kill you in 3 days.
14. Know how to find water.
15. Know to purify water.
16. Know to store water long term.

Food – a lack of food will seriously debilitate you and affect your ability to perform tasks such as manual labour, and will kill you in 30 days. It is also extremely important for morale.
17. How to cook nutritious and healthy food.
18. How to store food long term.
19. Food / hygiene safety.
20. How to identify edible foods.
21. How to grow / source foods.
22. How to track and hunt for food / fish for food.
23. How to prepare fish / game.

Health / First Aid / sanitation – disease and infected wounds are likely to be bigger killers than guns or knives.
24. Know how to maintain good sanitation.
25. Know how to maintain good hygiene (dental too).
26. Knowledge of good waste disposal.
27. Know how to diagnose respiratory and digestive diseases.
28. How to treat diseases.
29. Knowledge of medical drugs and antibiotics.
30. Knowledge of basic medical equipment and how to operate it.
31. Know how to treat minor injuries such as cuts and sprains.
32. Know how to treat major traumatic injuries such as gunshot & stab wounds, broken bones, severed arteries and severe burns etc.

Self Defence – An inability to defend yourself could lead to the theft of your preps or even serious injury or death of yourself or your family.
33. Know how to shoot and fight with a gun / firearm – UK residents are legally allowed to own the following so long as they have the appropriate licence - any calibre single action bolt action rifle, Semi-Automatic 22.LR calibre ARs and Carbines, Section 1 and 2 Shotguns, UK legal long barrelled pistols, any non-automatic black powered gun (including black powered revolvers), Compound Bows and Crossbows.
34. Know how to defend yourself for unarmed combat – Martial Arts etc / situational awareness.
35. Knowledge of how to defuse situations / verbal drills.

Navigation / communication and signalling – being able to find your way, signal for help and communicate Intel will be vital for resource acquisition.
36. Knowledge of how to read a map as well as how to use a GPS system.
37. Knowledge of how to use a compass.
38. Knowledge of how to set up and use CB and HAM radio systems for short and long range communications.
39. Knowledge of how to use a signalling mirror and flares or smoke signals etc.

Technical / Tinkerer Skills – being able to fix, make and maintain mechanical and electrical devices will be extremely important in order to thrive and not just survive.
40. Know how to wire simple electrical devices.
41. Know how to improvise power sources (e.g. solar power etc).
42. Know how to fix mechanical machinery (cars, motor bikes, trucks, tractors etc).
43. How to set up a radio communication system and how to maintain / repair it – Frankenstein a device together etc.
44. Know how to carve wood and join things together.
45. Know how to weld and do metalwork.

Physical preparedness – being in good shape will be vital to survival.
46. Being able to walk 10+ miles in one go.
47. Being able to do heavy manual labour.
48. Being flexible and used to exercise to avoid injury.
49. Being able to run fast.
50. Knowledge of how to swim.
51. Knowledge of how to ride a bicycle or motorbike (think deadlocked motorways / roads.
52. Knowledge of how to traverse rough terrain, rock climbing etc.

Soft Interpersonal Social Skills – this will be extremely important for forming and maintaining groups and communities.
53. Know how to communicate with people and be friendly.
54. Leadership skills.
55. How know to work as a team.
56. The ability to teach people new skills and share ideas.
57. How to entertain people and maintain good morale.
58. How to care for people (especially children and those who are ill).
59. Know how to barter and trade.

izzy_mack

Re: How skilled are you?

Post by izzy_mack »

Tried to be honest as poss. - after all the only one I'd be cheating is me- and got 26. add a few maybes and a littles and I suppose it's not too bad. Some are not poss. because of health, can no longer walk 10 miles but am trying to get fitter and at least find my max. can no longer do heavy labour but again trying to up what I can do. If i add in the others in my family get a much higher score but it's a good list to make me think of areas we all fall short and if there's anything i can do to improve things.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

In all honesty an awkward set of questions. There are some I can do , some I can't and an awful lot that I know the principals but haven't done in a practical sense such as tracking and then some I've done in the distant past but couldn't say if I could do now. The fixing cars etc is a good example of that . I've stripped down the engine on an old viva van 25 years ago but not done anything similar since. I know how to tie some knots and can identify some wild plants and fungi but not a full knowledge of either and while walking ten miles and heavy labour are fine I'm not a fast runner.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

grenfell wrote:In all honesty an awkward set of questions.
I think in some ways it was meant to be awkward and thought provoking post. I think we can all fall into the trap of buying lots of stuff but then not know how to use it. Only today I was looking at some new cool gadgets but then I reminded myself that there are more important things. So when I went shopping I bought myself some more tinned food and some bottles of water.

As for my own skills, I'd like to develop my Martial Art and Bushcraft skills next.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

MBJ wrote:
I think in some ways it was meant to be awkward and thought provoking post. I think we can all fall into the trap of buying lots of stuff but then not know how to use it. Only today I was looking at some new cool gadgets but then I reminded myself that there are more important things. So when I went shopping I bought myself some more tinned food and some bottles of water.

As for my own skills, I'd like to develop my Martial Art and Bushcraft skills next.
Being equally 'awkward', that'll come in really handy if you get a flood. ;) What you prep for and what your priorities are will vary from person to person, there's no 1 size fits all. If you fancy the martial arts and bushcraft I hope you enjoy them, they're at the 'sexier' end of the skills associated with prepping which may or may not suit your priorities. I know you've put a lot of thought into your list but if you're planning on having to 'blot, bang, rub' on a regular basis (for example) you're going to need a fair bit of infrastructure there to support it as well as the knowledge, and the gear on you too which is bulky. Its unlikely you'll be able to cover every single base so do what you can and build on what you think YOU need to deal with. Enjoy the whole prepping thing, we tend to gravitate towards the aspects that appeal to us but try not to neglect those that aren't so appealing too. :P
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

43 points here. :shock:

Took it twice just to make sure
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Deeps wrote:
MBJ wrote:

Being equally 'awkward', that'll come in really handy if you get a flood. ;) What you prep for and what your priorities are will vary from person to person, there's no 1 size fits all. If you fancy the martial arts and bushcraft I hope you enjoy them, they're at the 'sexier' end of the skills associated with prepping which may or may not suit your priorities. I know you've put a lot of thought into your list but if you're planning on having to 'blot, bang, rub' on a regular basis (for example) you're going to need a fair bit of infrastructure there to support it as well as the knowledge, and the gear on you too which is bulky. Its unlikely you'll be able to cover every single base so do what you can and build on what you think YOU need to deal with. Enjoy the whole prepping thing, we tend to gravitate towards the aspects that appeal to us but try not to neglect those that aren't so appealing too. :P
The point of the list was to get people to think about their skills and where they need to improve. I do not think it is possible for one person to perfect everything on the list either, just that the more of them you have the greater your chance of surviving various situations will be.

As you said, your priorities are likely to be very personal and vary from person to person. For example, I live in an urban environment that is high up and not on a floodplain. So preparing for a flood would be fairly pointless, but developing personal defence skills in an urban environment could be very useful. I also like to focus on skills that are going to enrich my life regardless. Prepping is after all preparing for a situation we hope will never happen, so it's nice to have skills that can be applied elsewhere too. For example, I'm a Scout Leader and enjoy camping so learning more bushcraft skills will be useful for running camps and teaching children new skills etc. So even if nothing happens, I will have gained anyway.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Would have been 32 but GPS was in the same question as maps. I know how to read a map. I don't use any form of GPS/satnav.

It did highlight a few things I should know, but don't.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

MBJ wrote:

Air - A lack of safe oxygen will kill you in minutes.
1. How to identify a quality gas mask (old military surplus masks often have asbestos in them or are shoddy at best). Yep + face fit testing bitrex is lovley
2. How to operate a gas mask. i have a razor.......
3. Know how to operate a gas detector. what type?
4. Know the signs of a gas attack. depends on the agent but death comes high up
5. Know which filters work for what gases. Should see the folder i have for this and you also need to take into account the exposure level / skin protection
6. How to decontaminate from a gas attack. good luck with that in a civilian setting

Shelter – A lack of adequate shelter can kill you in hours.
7. Learn how to save money, invest and increase your wealth to prepare financially so you don’t lose your home. I wish
8. Know how to do basic maintenance on your property. Im good at DIY
9. Know how to secure your property. Pee Mrs andy off and run
10. Know how to build a primitive shelter. after that last comment im sleeping in the shed tonight
11. Knowledge of how to tie various knots. Shes just thrown that ring at me.....
12. Know which materials are best to prevent exposure. anything but lycra down is good if its dry
13. How to build a fire for warmth / cooking- without a lighter. Can use a flint and steel

Water – a lack of safe water can kill you in 3 days.
14. Know how to find water. ruddy great river 1/2 mile away
15. Know to purify water. got various filters
16. Know to store water long term. Got buckets

Food – a lack of food will seriously debilitate you and affect your ability to perform tasks such as manual labour, and will kill you in 30 days. It is also extremely important for morale.
17. How to cook nutritious and healthy food. Mrs andy is a chef and mum used to teach home economics
18. How to store food long term. unless its chocolate digestives as they wont see a week of storage
19. Food / hygiene safety. Was a CIEH food hygine cert holder
20. How to identify edible foods. No where near as good as my grandad
21. How to grow / source foods. yep got veg patch and mates who farm.
22. How to track and hunt for food / fish for food. yep
23. How to prepare fish / game. NB dont go gutting rabbits where some townie can see you and vigerously object to her children been able to see it..

Health / First Aid / sanitation – disease and infected wounds are likely to be bigger killers than guns or knives.
24. Know how to maintain good sanitation. I have soap and a camp shower
25. Know how to maintain good hygiene (dental too). soap and toothpaste
26. Knowledge of good waste disposal. bin man comes tomorrow i think?
27. Know how to diagnose respiratory and digestive diseases. its ok been able to id them....
28. How to treat diseases. i have a charming bed side manor
29. Knowledge of medical drugs and antibiotics. Problem is getting hold of them
30. Knowledge of basic medical equipment and how to operate it. First aider
31. Know how to treat minor injuries such as cuts and sprains. First aider
32. Know how to treat major traumatic injuries such as gunshot & stab wounds, broken bones, severed arteries and severe burns etc. trained in CAT /Celox / FFD

Self Defence – An inability to defend yourself could lead to the theft of your preps or even serious injury or death of yourself or your family.
33. Know how to shoot and fight with a gun / firearm – UK residents are legally allowed to own the following so long as they have the appropriate licence - any calibre single action bolt action rifle, Semi-Automatic 22.LR calibre ARs and Carbines, Section 1 and 2 Shotguns, UK legal long barrelled pistols, any non-automatic black powered gun (including black powered revolvers), Compound Bows and Crossbows. Had a go with most but far from expert level
34. Know how to defend yourself for unarmed combat – Martial Arts etc / situational awareness. Oh yes......
35. Knowledge of how to defuse situations / verbal drills. Been told im not very diplomatic and drop into "Engineering language and attitude" rather too quickly, Last Bout of "road rage" where someone undertook me as i pulled into the drive with a trailer on the back of the truck had the poor chap running back to his car (he got out first and started been threatening / chest beating ) as if his life was in mortal danger ,, and my father flying out the house to see what the heck was going on as he could hear me "clearly" whilst sat in the back room whilst watching tv... Not proud but sometimes you HAVE to match "fire with fire" :oops:

Navigation / communication and signalling – being able to find your way, signal for help and communicate Intel will be vital for resource acquisition.
36. Knowledge of how to read a map as well as how to use a GPS system. used to orienteer and can fall out with a Tom TOM with ease
37. Knowledge of how to use a compass. Can draw ace circles
38. Knowledge of how to set up and use CB and HAM radio systems for short and long range communications. Ham makes my brain hurt but CB is simple enough unless someone starts on about side bands then my eyes glaze over
39. Knowledge of how to use a signalling mirror and flares or smoke signals etc. Never at about 11 years old did my parents expect to see the police helicopter hovering over the house at 10pm thats all im saying . . . - - - . . . :roll:

Technical / Tinkerer Skills – being able to fix, make and maintain mechanical and electrical devices will be extremely important in order to thrive and not just survive.
40. Know how to wire simple electrical devices. rewired houses, cars looms / plant machinery
41. Know how to improvise power sources (e.g. solar power etc). see the DIY/ projects section
42. Know how to fix mechanical machinery (cars, motor bikes, trucks, tractors etc). one of my hobbies
43. How to set up a radio communication system and how to maintain / repair it – Frankenstein a device together etc. as above CB easy enough can also solder
44. Know how to carve wood and join things together. Caskamite / sticks all ;) oh yeh and mortace / tennon / halving / mitres
45. Know how to weld and do metalwork. got my own ARC and Gas mig units

Physical preparedness – being in good shape will be vital to survival.
46. Being able to walk 10+ miles in one go. tested late last year 10 miles with about 25kg bergan on in the lake district
47. Being able to do heavy manual labour. They day job
48. Being flexible and used to exercise to avoid injury. well not flexible as i was
49. Being able to run fast. My knees dont like it
50. Knowledge of how to swim. can do if im forced can do about 4 lengths before i sink
51. Knowledge of how to ride a bicycle or motorbike (think deadlocked motorways / roads. I love mountain biking
52. Knowledge of how to traverse rough terrain, rock climbing etc. introduced the 14 yo to it last year if mrs andy see's the video of it she will kill me

Soft Interpersonal Social Skills – this will be extremely important for forming and maintaining groups and communities.
53. Know how to communicate with people and be friendly. I can muddle by
54. Leadership skills.
Again my deplomcy need work

55. How know to work as a team. My way or forget it!
56. The ability to teach people new skills and share ideas. This is how we are going to do it!
57. How to entertain people and maintain good morale. I have tried my best with the above
58. How to care for people (especially children and those who are ill). Ive got a throat infection so just poured a large glass of polish vodka
59. Know how to barter and trade. Famous yorkshire war cry "" HOW MUCH? SOD THAT I'LL GET ONE OFF AMAZON"" usually does the trick

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

The two most vital categories are at the bottom.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======