Fancy A Good 65L Rucksack For £28?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
ForgeCorvus

Re: Fancy A Good 65L Rucksack For £28?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

BlinkingCory wrote:
Deeps wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:Good deal, cheers for sharing.
I already own far too many rucksacks though, if I buy any more there won't be room for the gear to go in them!
I'm guilty of too many rucksacks myself but.....cover me, I'm going in. :P I've ran it past Her Maj and we're going to have a look tomorrow. :D
Be careful!
The entire Karrimor range is on sale.
There might be a reason for that, I thought I'd read some reviews and arranged them by date rather then rating. The Urban 30 (which is in the size range I need, to replace my last workbag/EDC) hasn't had a good review since 2015

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Urban ... geNumber=1
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Well, I loaded the bag up this morning with the kit I'm taking on the coast to coast. Perfect size for me.
Took the van up to ullswater, threw the pack on and took it for a 13Km bimble.
Everything I'm taking, fitted inside.
(I also take a small chest bag with me when hiking. A go-to ready use bag with things I will need to use during the day)
65L was perfect.
No problems at all.
VonNoelio

Post by VonNoelio »

Hi all,

just to let you know this is not the same Karrimor we all know and love. I have had my 90lt Karrimor rucksack for best part of 20 years and it still serves me well. Loaded myself up for the Scillies last year and it performed as always.

Last year I saw SportsDirect selling Karrimor items at great prices and jumped in. However on arrival both my boots and daysack were not what I was expecting, low quality, badly made kit. The boots barely had any material between inner and outer, and were possibly the most uncomfortable boots ever worn. Had I paid the originally £89 I would have been livid as I didn't think they were even worth the 'Sale' price of £39:99! The same was to be said of the daysack.

I then researched and found the original Karrimor went into receivership in 2013 and the name was bought by Sportsdirect who now have everything produced in China. I would consider this an absolutely epic fail. The boots were returned and then a proper pair purchased from another more reputable supplier.

Such a shame to see such a strong, British brand's legacy destroyed for the sake of profit.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

VonNoelio wrote:Hi all,

just to let you know this is not the same Karrimor we all know and love. I have had my 90lt Karrimor rucksack for best part of 20 years and it still serves me well. Loaded myself up for the Scillies last year and it performed as always.

Last year I saw SportsDirect selling Karrimor items at great prices and jumped in. However on arrival both my boots and daysack were not what I was expecting, low quality, badly made kit. The boots barely had any material between inner and outer, and were possibly the most uncomfortable boots ever worn. Had I paid the originally £89 I would have been livid as I didn't think they were even worth the 'Sale' price of £39:99! The same was to be said of the daysack.

I then researched and found the original Karrimor went into receivership in 2013 and the name was bought by Sportsdirect who now have everything produced in China. I would consider this an absolutely epic fail. The boots were returned and then a proper pair purchased from another more reputable supplier.

Such a shame to see such a strong, British brand's legacy destroyed for the sake of profit.
Maybe explains a few things, while the bag was fine, it did feel a bit 'cheap', especially the zips. As it happens, I dug out an old Karrimor to leave at my folks for carrying their messages and while its a heavy old unit in comparison its built to last. I'll not be dashing off to buy another Karrimor bag but I suppose it depends what you want to use it for. Thanks for doing the research though mate.
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

I must be easily pleased!
To be fair, I've only experience of my Bergen.
So, I've wrongly assumed all non-Bergen bags have the build standard of this Karrimor?
D'oh!
I'm still gonna use it coast to coast, too tight fisted to buy an alternative LOL
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

BlinkingCory wrote:I must be easily pleased!
To be fair, I've only experience of my Bergen.
So, I've wrongly assumed all non-Bergen bags have the build standard of this Karrimor?
D'oh!
I'm still gonna use it coast to coast, too tight fisted to buy an alternative LOL
Mate, it was fine, I took it away at the weekend and it did everything required of it, maybe just a bit of rucksack snobbery going on here. :oops: I have got better bags (in my opinion) but I'm sure you won't have any problems, I did get a shock dragging out the 'old skool' Karrimor bag this morning, weighed a good bit more but I reckon I know which one will still be going strong in 10 years. Still a good find mate and I can see me using the bag again.
shocker

Post by shocker »

That Karrimor buyout explains a few things ! Ive been on Lowe bergans for years now for civvy look, ex MOD or S.African Defence Force stuff for more serious.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***