Fire-lighters

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
sethorly

Re: Fire-lighters

Post by sethorly »

I've used the Poundland version of those Blaze bricks - they do the job really well - they light easily and burn quite hot for a sufficient time to get damp kindling dry and burning.

I'm doing my best to teach myself and my kids how to light fires in all weathers without these props though; my back garden is filling up with fat wood, various mushrooms, feather sticks and birch bark, and my kids have become pocket knife junkies.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

sethorly wrote:....my kids have become pocket knife junkies.
And thats a bad thing How? ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Sadly children with knives is now considered a bad "gang" thing by the public and police.
I'm lucky enough to have grown up at a time when all children had a pocket knife, and many a sheath knife all the time. Stabbing simply didn't happen, yes occasionally someone would manage to cut themself slightly, but we all survived with all our fingers.
If there was a scrap we settled it with fists, we wouldn't have considered pulling a knife.
Showing my age I think ;)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I saw another good home made firelighter recently, it was done by Lonnie from far north bushcraft and survival on YouTube, he lives way out in the wilds in Alaska so you can trust that he knows how to get a fire going, he wouldn't be as old as he is if he didn't!

Take a cardboard egg box, fill the holes in it with sawdust, then pour in some melted wax, then when you want to light one just break it off and light the cardboard, they burn very well and keep going for ages.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

sniper 55 wrote:Sadly children with knives is now considered a bad "gang" thing by the public and police.
I'm lucky enough to have grown up at a time when all children had a pocket knife, and many a sheath knife all the time. Stabbing simply didn't happen, yes occasionally someone would manage to cut themself slightly, but we all survived with all our fingers.
If there was a scrap we settled it with fists, we wouldn't have considered pulling a knife.
Dont get me started ! The Police brought my godson home for the awful crime of playing catch in the woods with...gasp...a gang of other 12 year old boys. Now, I would have thought we should be encouraging that sort of thing. :roll:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:Sadly children with knives is now considered a bad "gang" thing by the public and police.
Dont get me started ! The Police brought my godson home for the awful crime of playing catch in the woods with...gasp...a gang of other 12 year old boys. Now, I would have thought we should be encouraging that sort of thing. :roll:

Unless your Godson is 25. :o

Coat on and on my way........ :oops:
shocker

Post by shocker »

...and they call me shocker ! :o :shock: ;)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:...and they call me shocker ! :o :shock: ;)
Sorry bro. Couldn't resist..... :oops:
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Deeps wrote:
shocker wrote:

Unless your Godson is 25. :o

Coat on and on my way........ :oops:
You so and so, now I'm wiping tea off my keyboard. :lol:
shocker

Post by shocker »

He's a sod that way, he's had me a few times now (ooo-err, mrs !!) :lol: