Training your pets to be assets

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
MissAnpassad

Training your pets to be assets

Post by MissAnpassad »

I couldn't find a suitable forum for this (we really need a pet forum).

Do you train your pets as an asset? I live on a farm and my cats keep the pests in control, and as a musher my sleddogs can transport me or goods. I know that others trained their dogs to be fire alarms. My free range chickens eat insects (and part of my harvest the little buggers).

Have you even considered that your pet is an asset?
pseudonym

Re: Training your pets to be assets

Post by pseudonym »

No Pets here.

Used to train Military working dogs. Know their Capabilities.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We've got a lethal moggy who has even had a couple of rats, he brought a pigeon in the other night but that's instinct rather than training. He's a lovely wee fellah and not territorial at all, he'll play with other cats but he'll scoff anything small and furry or feathery.

We've a couple of decent sized gun dogs but they're not trained to the gun. They would be good burglar deterrents, they're loud but that's about it, at the end of the day, they're just pets and I've no plans to train them for any kind of 'work', they've well behaved and that'll do for me. Now if I could train the wife that might be handy. :lol:
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

On our place we have
Rabbit yes only one and pet so no chance of breeding so its a draw on resources
Two stable cats , one more than earns his keep in pest control, the other chasing bits of straw for a living. Hmmmm
One lab . Alright gun dog , but vicious to strangers . Good asset
10 horses
Now ill break it down
3 ponies for the daughter possible 2 carriage ponies but never put to harness
Old gelding has hunted but a fairy not bold .
Old thoroughbred shes nuts but would not put it past her to lashout at strangers .
Four year old mare fatastic scope possible hunter
Three year old gelding afraid of nothing we'er seriously thinking of the police for him.
Another three year old afraid of shadow.......hmmmm
Two year old again afraid of nothing possible carriage horse
One year old wee danny . Hes very very clever .
Hes special

So plenty of scope for transport, goods trasport forrestry, and home defence

And as ive said before meat of it came to it ...

Jamie
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Juno

Post by Juno »

I have two cats, but the only thing I've ever been able to train them in is keeping off the kitchen worktop. And I suspect they ignore that when we're not in anyway. That said, if we do ever have a mouse problem, they'll be brilliant for hunting down the mice, mauling them, and then leaving body parts (tail, stomach, the odd leg) under the coffee table.

I think if I had cats again I'd like to try to train them a bit more - they're clearly smart creatures so I'm sure it must be possible although also probably fairly patience-testing. However, mine are ten years old now so I suspect they're not going to learn anything at this point...
It's a beautiful destination
junmist

Post by junmist »

Bit low at the moment two cats vermin control (Well we like to think they are helping but they are just fluff balls) we just lost our hunting cat she brought home many a nice rabbit. One terrier good on vermin and a great guard, One six month old Ridgeback wanted to train him to track but the Uk tracking society I contacted to find a trainer never got back to me :x so looks like he will just be a hunter/guard. One native pack pony who does everything you ask her too and a mini shetland who helps out around the place too. But I'm researching another native breed that is also looking good as an all rounder.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

The hens had to go when I had spinal surgery a few months ago :(

I still have a cat which kills anything that moves and a springador that is frightened of big bangs, useless gun dog but great guard dog :lol:
Scottish-prepper

Post by Scottish-prepper »

We have a border collie, I’d love to train her to be useful. She’s very intelligent and picks things up quickly. She’s very loving and affectionate to everyone so not an attack dog. She does bark like hell when anyone comes in our garden though, then when you open the door she sits at their feet wagging her tail waiting to be petted. Teaching her to help with hunting would be great but seeing as I can’t legally do that until either I get my firearms license or the uk legalises bow hunting, that will have to wait.
berbie

Post by berbie »

Two Belgian Malanois X shepherds here. Lively enough but friendly> Too yooung as yet to train to be guarding but they;'re getting there. Very intelligent dogs.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

berbie wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:07 pm Two Belgian Malanois X shepherds here. Very intelligent dogs.
Very. IMHO, probably the easiest to train out of all the dogs. High drive and willingness to learn. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.