EDC/GHB how much is too much?

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
sniper 55

Re: EDC/GHB how much is too much?

Post by sniper 55 »

The tourniquet and field dressings are in there in case of a Paris type attack or similar major trauma (not very lightly in my area maybe, but I'm unlucky) and I'm fully trained in them, and med gasses/defib and a qualified ambulance driver.
The problem with chosing stuff for a get home bag is theres no way of knowing what sort of drama is the reason for needing your kit It might be something simple like a transport strike, or I could be in the middle of a terror incident or earthquake so my thoughts were better to be prepared for the worst case.
Thanks again for the replies.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Not faulting you carrying the 'Jesus-saves' trauma pads after all I've got a large FFD in my bag (although, now you've got me thinking that two might be better), and if you're trained to use the other heavy duty stuff then why the feth not (I don't carry that level of gear because I don't know how or when to use it).

You've admitted you're running torch heavy though (also one of my faults), I'd cut it to the head torch and one other (best if you've one type of cell if thats possible).... You've not said what your Pocket Carry is, but you could always sneak an extra light in there (and now I feel like some sort of torch-junkie's enabler :oops: )

I can't make out the contents of the plastic bags in the 'Tools' picture, have you got:
A load of change (I have at least a fivers worth of 20p's and another quid in 10p's)
Cash (I EDCcouple of Twenties in a pill-fob and am thinking of adding some more to the Bag Load too)
Plastic,a lot of folks recommend a pre-pay card or an unused CC (I don't have either yet, but I'm rural)
Timetables for local public transport, if its a big Event then they're only so much tinder. However, it might just be a bump-in-the-road
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Not faulting you carrying the 'Jesus-saves' trauma pads after all I've got a large FFD in my bag (although, now you've got me thinking that two might be better), and if you're trained to use the other heavy duty stuff then why the feth not (I don't carry that level of gear because I don't know how or when to use it).

You've admitted you're running torch heavy though (also one of my faults), I'd cut it to the head torch and one other (best if you've one type of cell if thats possible).... You've not said what your Pocket Carry is, but you could always sneak an extra light in there (and now I feel like some sort of torch-junkie's enabler :oops: )

I can't make out the contents of the plastic bags in the 'Tools' picture, have you got:
A load of change (I have at least a fivers worth of 20p's and another quid in 10p's)
Cash (I EDCcouple of Twenties in a pill-fob and am thinking of adding some more to the Bag Load too)
Plastic,a lot of folks recommend a pre-pay card or an unused CC (I don't have either yet, but I'm rural)
Timetables for local public transport, if its a big Event then they're only so much tinder. However, it might just be a bump-in-the-road
The plastic bag has a wire saw in it (meant to take it out and forgot) There is yet another torch in my pocket.. Yes I know :roll: but thats me. (I think I will trim the torches down)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:Not faulting you carrying the 'Jesus-saves' trauma pads after all I've got a large FFD in my bag (although, now you've got me thinking that two might be better), and if you're trained to use the other heavy duty stuff then why the feth not (I don't carry that level of gear because I don't know how or when to use it).

The plastic bag has a wire saw in it (meant to take it out and forgot) There is yet another torch in my pocket.. Yes I know :roll: but thats me. (I think I will trim the torches down)
Some redundancy isn't a bad thing, its striking the balance. I tend to err on the side of taking too much, as long as I've got space and the weight isn't too much. I'm not keen on having a single point of failure. I don't have a BOB but if I'm going somewhere further than a days walk from home I do take extra stuff and depending on where I'm going it varies. If I'm going to a football match/night out I'll not be taking a rucksack so its stuff in pockets. If I'm going to see friends/family I'll take a smally rucksack with some bits and bobs.

Just looking at the number of threads on here and people chipping in with how they would do it differently shows that its a very individual thing the BOB. Its always good to have a nose around and see how other people are doing stuff but I'd say there's no universal perfect BOB (or anything) as its down to personal preferences.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I no longer have a BoB in the classic "Run for the Hills" type format because if its got to the point of trying to live under a bush somewhere I'd really need an INCH.

My workbag is pretty much my EDC (as I carry it almost everyday) and my GHB (as thats all I'd have to get me home), when I'm not going to work I tend to strip the main contents out to pack the bag I am taking with me.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

What he said.