Anyone want some kefir grains?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Mad Scientist

Re: Anyone want some kefir grains?

Post by Mad Scientist »

Hi Featherstick! Are there any grains left? I love making my own stuff and would love to try these. Many thanks!
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

All done, on their way.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

The kefir is working really nicely. I made some drinking yoghurt and cheese. The cheese is great mixed with garlic and herbs and I mixed ground, dried lavender with some, too. Lovely! Got another batch chugging away in my pantry. Thank you!
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

How do you make the cheese? I only ever drink the stuff but I guess if you let it get very thick and then strain you must end up with cottage cheese?
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

featherstick wrote:How do you make the cheese? I only ever drink the stuff but I guess if you let it get very thick and then strain you must end up with cottage cheese?
No, that's not how cottage cheese is made. Cottage cheese is made from buttermilk, milk and rennet.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

featherstick wrote:How do you make the cheese? I only ever drink the stuff but I guess if you let it get very thick and then strain you must end up with cottage cheese?
From what I understand you just let it ferment until the curd and whey separate then strain to make cheese http://www.culturesforhealth.com/hard-k ... se-recipe/

And mine is still going strong Featherstick ....cheers :D
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Glad to hear it.

You'll find they grow with time - cull them periodically otherwise the milk turns too quickly and you'll end up with a surplus. Give half away, or flush it down the toilet.