Anyone want some kefir grains?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
featherstick

Anyone want some kefir grains?

Post by featherstick »

Kefir is a tasty, yoghurt-like probiotic milk drink.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

I have a kefir colony that needs splitting - happy to post out grains for the price of the postage. Once you have them, it's like having your own probiotic pet in the kitchen.
BadgerSE

Re: Anyone want some kefir grains?

Post by BadgerSE »

How exactly do you consume kefir? Are they boiled, dried, melted into food or what? Sorry I'm not much of a Jamie Oliver in the kitchen.
“Tough times don't last, tough people do, remember?”

Area 3
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yes please, featherstick. Someone fairly local to me has been chatting about making water kefir, flavoured with honey and a slice of lemon to end up sparkling. I need all the probiotics I can get :)
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

BadgerSE wrote:How exactly do you consume kefir? Are they boiled, dried, melted into food or what? Sorry I'm not much of a Jamie Oliver in the kitchen.
You use the grains to ferment the milk, and then drink the milk. It's a live, probiotic, slightly fizzy, thin yoghurt. It can be used in baking, salads and so on. Commercial versions can be found in all Eastern European supermarkets. I like it but it's not to everyone's taste.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Arzosah wrote:Yes please, featherstick. Someone fairly local to me has been chatting about making water kefir, flavoured with honey and a slice of lemon to end up sparkling. I need all the probiotics I can get :)

Send me a PM with your address and I'll (try to) get some in the post to you this weekend.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Kefir grains now sitting in a huge great glass jar I kept cos it was so pretty - I knew there was a reason! No top though, so an old plastic peanut butter jar top is sitting loosely over it. This is going to be good :) thanks featherstick.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Anyone else want some grains? Damn thing has grown again.

Arzosah, how are yours getting on?
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

They're good, thank you! I diverted some to try out as water kefir, not millk kefir, but they sort of sat there .... the milk kefir is happy as larry though :) :) :)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

featherstick wrote:Kefir is a tasty, yoghurt-like probiotic milk drink.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

I have a kefir colony that needs splitting - happy to post out grains for the price of the postage. Once you have them, it's like having your own probiotic pet in the kitchen.

If you have any left , I would like to give them a go (let me know your paypal addy and will cover the p&p) , just read an article that they could be good for depression............

On here http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/03/3 ... epression/ very good site all round

Jase
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Featherstick , I cant seem to PM you , (inbox full maybe)..... OOps ignore that , apparently messages stay in outbox till read :D

Featherstick just to give you a heads up , working fine.... :D on my third batch today...........

From my second batch , did a second ferment with some berries added

Again many thanks :D

Jase