Prepped Pasta Fungi

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
jansman

Prepped Pasta Fungi

Post by jansman »

Now my Wife is almost vegetarian. She likes mushrooms a lot. So last night when pondering what to eat, she suggested a favourite. Pasta Fungi. Now we preppers all have dried pasta in our stores ( well those who like it!).The only problem was , no mushrooms! :( in fact as our shop arrives the day after the fridge was bare.

So I went to the pantry and got some tinned ones! I opened two tins 300 g ones and let them drain well in a colander.

Penne pasta ( or what you like) cooked al dente.
Tinned mushrooms, drained
Chopped onions or leeks. Reconstituted dry onions would work
Garlic two cloves, or garlic paste/ dry garlic flakes
A little oil
Double cream OR ( in our case) a tin of mushroom soup
Salt ,pepper and some grated parmesan or cheddar

Fry up the onion and garlic.don't burn the garlic or it gets bitter.Add the mushrooms and stir them in and warm through.Add the mushroom soup, and simmer gently.Add salt and pepper to taste.stir in the grated cheese and add the pasta.Serve.

We had some garlic bread with it and salad leaves from the poly tunnel.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Decaff

Re: Prepped Pasta Fungi

Post by Decaff »

That sounds delicious! Must admit I love mushrooms too and they are meaty so you feel you've had a good meal. Mushroom soup, stuffed mushrooms, fried in butter anyway they come is good for me!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Fungiphile here :D

Hungry again now :P
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Re garlic bread, I've found it so much cheaper to make it rather than buy it. I buy those part baked baguettes from sainsburys for 60pence for two or from Aldi 30 something pence for two and they have wholemeal in Aldi too. Mix your own garlic into real softened butter and spread onto the baked and sliced baguette, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and chives, grill till the cheese is bubbly and brown. The taste is so much nicer than the ready made ones and any leftovers can be made into pizza for lunch the next day byvadding a few extra toppings.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

I'm hungry now! I was fine before I started reading this thread, now I just fancy knocking up some cheesey garlic bread....
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

preparedsurrey wrote:I'm hungry now! I was fine before I started reading this thread, now I just fancy knocking up some cheesey garlic bread....
It's very moorish, which is a problem for my waistline :lol: :lol:
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I always have some dried mushrooms in my stores, either bought porcini or ones I've dried myself, can knock up a nice mushroom risotto or pasta sauce out of them pretty quick, and drying concentrates the flavour a fair bit.
Have a dehydrator for drying them now, but it's pretty easy to dry mushrooms without one, just need a needle and some food safe string, thread them onto it to make a mushroom garland either whole or in chunks and hang them up in the airing cupboard.
Drying them like that they can get a little bit tough, but once they're rehydrated you can cut them up into small bits if it's a problem.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:I always have some dried mushrooms in my stores, either bought porcini or ones I've dried myself, can knock up a nice mushroom risotto or pasta sauce out of them pretty quick, and drying concentrates the flavour a fair bit.
Have a dehydrator for drying them now, but it's pretty easy to dry mushrooms without one, just need a needle and some food safe string, thread them onto it to make a mushroom garland either whole or in chunks and hang them up in the airing cupboard.
Drying them like that they can get a little bit tough, but once they're rehydrated you can cut them up into small bits if it's a problem.

The stalks are a bit tougher than the caps, try removing them and using them fresh and drying out the rest of the 'shrooms the way you have been. I take the stalks off, chop them into slices and microwave them with a small amount of water for 30 seconds to blanch them then put them in the dehydrator. It seems to work ok.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

What I've been doing with the stalks since getting the dehydrator is taking them off and drying them separately, and taking them to the point that they're rock hard, then grinding them up into a powder, works nicely for enriching a stew and bringing out the meat flavour.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.