tinned meals

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
jansman

Re: tinned meals

Post by jansman »

sniper 55 wrote:One I've used a lot is tinned stewed steak (or mince), tinned new potatoes and tinned peas (I'm not a fan of tinned carrots) I cut the spuds a bit smaller and throw it all in the pan. Years back it was known as airborne stew.
Ha ha ! I shall be eating just that later.I am going pike fishing in a short while.lunchtime it will be easy to open the tins and whack it on the stove.great scoff when it is cold.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
PrepperPete

Post by PrepperPete »

A (VERY) simple take a on a "veggie" chilli from cans that I do is as follows, all based on the "standard" 454g sized cans in the supermarket...

1 x can red kidney beans in chilli sauce.
1 x can chopped tomatoes.
1 x can mixed pulses.
A good squirt of tomato purée

Throw it all in one large pan and heat through. Add fresh onion or peppers subject to availability.

My "secret" recipe is a pinch of Mexican chilli seasoning - sold in small tubs at Sainsbury and really lifts the flavour - it contains all the usual spices plus chocolate!

Really simple and entirely doable when camping / if SHTF / over an open fire! Add rice or nachos as required! Will easily feed four people. Total cost, less than £2.

Cheers
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

A tin of spuds chopped small-ish, a tin of tomatos (the diced ones) a tin of mince and some chilli powder (or fresh chillis if you have them). Mmmm
unsure

Post by unsure »

jansman wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:One I've used a lot is tinned stewed steak (or mince), tinned new potatoes and tinned peas (I'm not a fan of tinned carrots) I cut the spuds a bit smaller and throw it all in the pan. Years back it was known as airborne stew.
Ha ha ! I shall be eating just that later.I am going pike fishing in a short while.lunchtime it will be easy to open the tins and whack it on the stove.great scoff when it is cold.
we call it one pot stew , great when your camping and its a bit on the chilly side . :)
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
unsure

Post by unsure »

unsure wrote:
jansman wrote:
Ha ha ! I shall be eating just that later.I am going pike fishing in a short while.lunchtime it will be easy to open the tins and whack it on the stove.great scoff when it is cold.[/quote

we call it one pot stew , any meat you have , be it chicken , stewed steak or mince , any veg you fancy , we`ve added sweetcorn before know . great way to warm up when your camping and its a bit chilly :)
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've taken to eating a tinned lunch sometimes (more often than I should to be honest), whatever it is, ravioli, beans & sausages, cheap chilli, cheap chicken in white sauce, blah blah blah I add dried veg courtesy of the dehydrator, onion, leek, chilli etc you get the idea and it puts a bit of 'de-blander' into another wise 'meh' meals and soak up the extra 'juice' in the cheaper tins. Diced and shallow fried tatties complete the ensemble but aren't necessary. I guess its not a 'survivalist' meal but that's not my intention, its more of a pleasurable meal than eating peanut butter for the calories kind of a thing.
womble

Post by womble »

Jan Smits wrote:...lowest energy input.

I have rice and beans and lentils to last until the end of the world, or at least a long time, but they do take a while to cook, and a fair bit of water.
Have you got a pressure cooker? A bit weighty for your BOB, maybe, but if you're bugging in, they area a great way to reduce the energy and water consumption of foods that take a long time and lose a lot of steam if cooked "conventionally". And the convenience of the food being cooked in about a quarter the time can't be overlooked, either :)

Modern pressure cookers are no longer the "scary monster on the hob" some of us might've grown up alongside :)
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

The longer you soak rice beforehand, the quicker it will cook.

Second the remarks on the pressure cooker, ours gets a LOT of use.

You could consider a haybox cooker too - plenty of discussion on this site.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

featherstick wrote:The longer you soak rice beforehand, the quicker it will cook.
I used to know that :oops: I think I probably need to embroider that somewhere .... thanks featherstick!
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

womble wrote:Have you got a pressure cooker? ...
No, but that's not a bad idea. I've been trying to make dal, but after an hour I decide it has been cooking long enough already so I never get it to the disintegrated stage (even with pre-soaking). And dried beans are so much cheaper than canned.
featherstick wrote:... You could consider a haybox cooker too - plenty of discussion on this site.
Thanks, yeah I've thought about them. Biggie for me is I have no idea where to get hay around here. If I do, I may as well go the whole hog and re-stuff the mattress too :)
John Smith but a little bit foreign.