Walkie Talkies

Toddie

Walkie Talkies

Post by Toddie »

Hi all.

OK so, i would like to get a set of walkies between myself and my parents house (2.6 miles away to be exact) due to recent floods/weather conditions.

There is interference including trees and hills, which makes me think i'd need something "stronger" than some run of the mill walkies, but that's why i've come to ask here.

So, any reccomendations on kit, whether i should even bother with walkies or get something else?

Thanks in advance.
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
HBP

Re: Walkie Talkies

Post by HBP »

How big a hill are we talking?

To be honest, communicating from one side of a hill to another with a handheld radio is going to be extremely hard if not impossible.

The licens efree radios you can buy are in the UHF frequency range and are basically line of sight. They would struggle to do 2.6 miles without a hill.

Even licensed VHF (lower frequency so in thoery may go a bit further) radios such as ham radio or business licensed would get blocked by a hill.

For handheld business and Ham radios is normal practice to use a repeater somewhere high so this it can relay your signal to a wide area.

You might get some luck with a couple of base/vehicle mount CBs and a decent antenna. Expensive way to find out if it would work though and far from guaranteed.

Terrain is always a problem for radio communications
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Try a set of PMR radios there's some in Argos with their 30 day money back if no good you've lost nowt..

Above that CB radio? (No licence needed)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

HBP wrote:How big a hill are we talking?
Not everest, it'd probably be more helpful for me to have said that my parents house is on a higher elevation than i am, how much higher? I suppose i'd have to look into that if it becomes a big factor - but i'd be speculating if i were to say a figure.
Yorkshire Andy wrote:Try a set of PMR radios there's some in Argos with their 30 day money back if no good you've lost nowt..
Good shout Andy, definately worth a crack.
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

A nifty freeware bit of (windows) software for hams and other radio people is called “Radio Mobile”. This tool allows you to simulate and map predicted coverage of your location using terrain and clutter data and maps expected coverage into google maps

http://www.vk3bq.com/2013/12/01/radio-m ... -software/
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
munchh

Post by munchh »

CB has got to be the easiest way if the PMR are no good, there are starter kits, a base antenna is not expensive, i had one mounted on a pole stuck in the lawn, its not perfect, but it works, it gave me a link to my nan's when she wasn't well.

And like its been said, you can also put it into the car if you need to.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
TheOldHObbit

Post by TheOldHObbit »

For the distance and terrain I would probably have to support the CB option. They are relatively cheap to buy and a couple of home base antennas would serve you well, also as has been mentioned, you could put it in your car for mobile operation. If your parents are well elevated, they will more than likely have contact with others as well.
piglet

Post by piglet »

I have a couple of Alan 456 PMR radios which we use for short range stuff when we are out and about in the countryside. They have been adequate for our needs.

I have a car setup which has been very useful when they traffic is grinding to halt and you want to know what is going on up ahead. There are usually Truckers who are closer to the problem who can advise you so that you can jump off at one of the next exit's, if needs be.

And a year or so ago, I was given a coupon which I didn't know what to do with, and eventually used it to get one of those Midland hand-held CB's. Most of the time I don't hear much on it unless you are reasonably close to people chatting. But on one occasion I responded to someone's request for a radio strength check whilst I was queueing at the Dartford crossing, and was extremely surprised when they told me they were just North of Dover.
ain't settlin'
easy rider

Post by easy rider »

Wanted hand held units myself for very simular reasons to keep in touch with my girls whilst walking our dogs over the hill in woodland.

After a few units with less than 4 watts output we were advices on older CB radio hand helps.
Specifically eurosonic Es 200 models.
4 watts plus on full power 2 on half switch.
These take 8aa or 10 rechargeables.

Either 2000 ma mains adapter or 12v d c as well.

The range can be increased too from a 9" rubber duck antenna to a21" antenna which makes massive differance.
You can run 1 extra AA high energy battery too increasing voltage from 12 v to 13.5 without damaging unit.
This too helps output.

These can be run in cars too by just connecting it to a cigarette a lighter adapter saving battery use and then through a bnc to pl adapter to a larger vehicle antenna.
Hand mids and ear plugs are also available.
Makes them pretty versatile.

Down sides a little larger than pmr or more modern units but then these out perform both others and no battery packs ,just AA and AA rechargeables.
Better model is the lcd not led too. Better power consumption more features .

Costs ,.
Radio £35 from fleebay when for sale but quite often , antenna 21" £17/£20 . Bnc to pl adapter £2/£3 . Magmount vehicle antennas from £25 to £50

Again these can be connected to a house antenna and mains through a 2000 mah adapter or off a car battery 12v d c

Had d X contacts from high ground , Birmingham to Gloucester ,brum to Wales over 60 miles .
These are recorded on Charlie tango d X groupe site .

Standard IDE guess 2/ 4 miles .with extras 4/6 .with greater audio .
Jane Simmons

Post by Jane Simmons »

Hey Toddie, the Midland LXT500VP3 22-Channel GMRS with 24-Mile Range works perfectly for my family when we go camping. We are able to communicate when hiking and listen in to the baby in the tent. You can read more about it here: http://toponlinereviews.com/product.htm ... 172654&i=1