supermarket water

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
kernewek

supermarket water

Post by kernewek »

Might be a dumb question, but I've seen a few comments about what containers to store water in at home. Is there actually anything wrong with normal bottled water for long term storage? The own brand stuff at the supermarket these days seems to be cheap as chips.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: supermarket water

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

That's what I do I rotate stocks through summer by slapping them in the fridge for a cool drink and replace
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Nothing wrong at all.

There is a theoretical risk that chemicals from the plastic can leech into the water when stored for long times. But that hasn't been proven. The best-before dates are more about known durations of guaranteed quality rather than any concern over fitness for purpose or safety.

10 years after TSHTF and I find a bottle of evian in a bombed out house, I think I'd happily drink it...
unsure

Post by unsure »

own brand water in supermarkets , is just bottled tap water , tesco admitted that a while back , they say your paying for the bottle and the convenience of being able to carry it .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

unsure wrote:own brand water in supermarkets , is just bottled tap water , tesco admitted that a while back , they say your paying for the bottle and the convenience of being able to carry it .
Its still water (geddit) and there's nothing wrong with tap water, I get that if you want princess spring water then you'll feel cheated but when it costs the same as the own brand cheapy lemonade you know its not going to be Highland Spring. My biggest concern is that its in transparent bottles, I keep most of my water in dark containers, I do have some transparent bottles though, its easy to buy and store.
kernewek

Post by kernewek »

Even though it's tap water I wonder if the supermarket stuff is likely to be bottled under more sterile conditions than someone filling bottles at home?
redskies

Post by redskies »

Plastic does degrade over time, so make sure you rotate stocks and keep them out of direct sunlight, which can speed the process.

As for sterility, bottling your own tap water is as sterile as you want to make it. Doing distilled water isn't hard, although you may find it a bit of a faff. If you're using glass, you can sterilise using the oven or even something like Milton. Entirely up to you :)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Toddie

Post by Toddie »

As i've heard it for many a year, the expiration date on bottled water is for the bottle, not the water.
Last edited by Toddie on Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
omega man

Post by omega man »

It's really a matter of the BPA (Bisphenol A) content of the polymer use in the bottles production, although this concern has been pubic knowledge for some time now and the vast majority of suppliers state such information on the packaging (not sure if that's now a legal requirement?)

here's what wiki have to say about it..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A#Use

but generally kept out of sunlight and rotated in a timely fashion shouldn't be an issue.

OM