What to put in first aid kit?

Medical and Healthcare
Alloneword

What to put in first aid kit?

Post by Alloneword »

Hi all, just to lay some background on you, I live in social housing and just a few feet from the River Thames in London and in fact i'm below river so my worry is being flooded either coming from up or down the river.
I'm trying to build up various bits of kit and would like advice on first aid kid, both the wife and i are type 2 dieabetics and so far this is what i have.

20 Anti septic wipes
Eye Pad
Conforming Bandage (5cmx4m)
10 (2x5) Gauze Swabs 75mm x 75mm
6 x Bio Hazard bags
2 x Adhesive Would Dressing (10cm x 8cm)
50 odd assorted plasters
Tube of Germolene
4 Pairs of latex gloves
Triangula Bandage
Standard HSE Dressing (18 cm x 18cm)

We also have a months supply of meds.

I'm not as hard core as many of you lot on here, but at this stage just looking for suggestions on what else i should put in it, simple pain killers will be put with meds.

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
Plymtom

Re: What to put in first aid kit?

Post by Plymtom »

I also have type 2, recently had a minor fall which I eventually went to the minor injuries unit to get checked out, two fingers one knuckle skinned and the other crushed a bit and cut down the side of the nail, the nurse cleaned it and put a dressing on with a non adherent iodine impregnated gauze thing on the would which I'm sure really helped reduce the risk of infection, so I'm having some of that http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inadine-5cm-x ... Sw14xWKgKO in my kits for sure now.

Most of us aren't hard core bunker building Johnny Rambo's ;) when you get into it preparedness is reawakening something which was a standard procedure for 60's children and before, coping with everyday calamities without having to yell for help, go shopping, or out at all, is essential, with disabled family members and I'm the carer -man flu can be a disaster if the cupboards are not sufficiently stocked, I use man flu with humour, I do get health issues which take me down but not out often enough, which is where it all began, that and being old enough to remember when stocking up for the xmas period and strikes was sensible, for many years now people still bunker down for Xmas, not because they'll be snowed on nor that the shops will shut for a few days, but because they intend to hit the alcohol to the extent that the car is not an option :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

Plymtom wrote:I also have type 2, recently had a minor fall which I eventually went to the minor injuries unit to get checked out, two fingers one knuckle skinned and the other crushed a bit and cut down the side of the nail, the nurse cleaned it and put a dressing on with a non adherent iodine impregnated gauze thing on the would which I'm sure really helped reduce the risk of infection, so I'm having some of that http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inadine-5cm-x ... Sw14xWKgKO in my kits for sure now.
Never heard of them before but they look intresting, the link you gave, had a short shelf life on them so i'll look into how long the shelf life is, thanks for that tip give were type 2 i'm sure that will be very handy.
Plymtom wrote:when you get into it preparedness is reawakening something which was a standard procedure for 60's children and before, coping with everyday calamities without having to yell for help, go shopping, or out at all, is essential, with disabled family members and I'm the carer -man flu can be a disaster if the cupboards are not sufficiently stocked, I use man flu with humour, I do get health issues which take me down but not out often enough, which is where it all began, that and being old enough to remember when stocking up for the xmas period and strikes was sensible,
Yea i get ya, i'm 50 now and still stock up on candles even nowadays, but i think i can stop buying now as about 2 years ago i bought 180 church candles and not used a single one yet :?

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Glucose gell?

Eye wash

More bandages

Resusiade or pocket mask

Latex free nitrile gloves..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

hi
you don't say if you can get upstairs above the high water line so you have a place to store stuff or if this is more for the everyday thing
saline solution for cleaning flushing wounds and also baby wipes, saves on water use
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Glucose gell?
No need for that type 2, so in our case there is not much chance of us going hypo ;)
Yorkshire Andy wrote:Eye wash
Not thought of that so will look at options
Yorkshire Andy wrote:More bandages
Maybe just depends on how much room is left on the motorbike with all my other kit
Yorkshire Andy wrote:Latex free nitrile gloves
have these already.

All1
metatron

Post by metatron »

Only things I constantly use:

Latex gloves (mostly due to car issues and not wanting to get my hands covered in crud)
Plasters
Butterfly stitches
Eye wash (useful for eyes and flushing out cuts)
At least two bandages (sprained ankles and such)
Surgical Tape
Safety pins
Burn Gel
Scissors
Foil Blanket
Cleansing Wipes
Few low adherent dressing
Absorbent pads

Israeli battle bandages are nice to have if you work outside, I've seen nasty gases from barb-wire fences.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Have you done a first-aid course?
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

metatron wrote:Butterfly stitches
Surgical Tape
Burn Gel
Israeli battle bandages
Nice list metatron some very useful stuff to add, i feel my first aid kit may need to get bigger :D

Where do you source these kinds of thing yourself? or is it just an ebay job

All1
metatron

Post by metatron »

Alloneword wrote:
metatron wrote:Butterfly stitches
Surgical Tape
Burn Gel
Israeli battle bandages
Nice list metatron some very useful stuff to add, i feel my first aid kit may need to get bigger :D

Where do you source these kinds of thing yourself? or is it just an ebay job

All1
Mix of eBay and Amazon