Strength and fitness

Medical and Healthcare
Jaeger48

Strength and fitness

Post by Jaeger48 »

I didn't see a thread like this on the front page so I wanted to start one.

The simplest way to minimize health risks in a disaster situation is to already be physically fit. Having a balance of strength and stamina will enable a person to weather adversity that much easier.

I'm not a small chap. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh a hefty 210 pounds. I take a conditioning and strength class followed by an hour long Krav Maga class twice a week. This has been invaluable in improving my health and minimizing the effects of my allergies and asthma.

What do you do to maintain your fitness?
preppingsu

Re: Strength and fitness

Post by preppingsu »

Not enough unfortunately, that is my prepping weakness! :|
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

I ride my bike to work (5 miles) on my day shifts. I also do nordic walking because I'm too lazy to goto a gym. I've started the planning challenge with a couple buddies from work and got up to 3 min, but it's getting a bit hard.
mongrel

Post by mongrel »

For me, functional fitness is important ,heating the house using wood, that means collecting, chopping, and splitting, working the land, both activities keep me in shape and not forgetting the dam dog, two walks every day morning and night.
For transport my bicycles, with a wee trailer.
At the end of a working day always to knackered to "keep Fit"

Mongrel
Jaeger48

Post by Jaeger48 »

mongrel wrote:For me, functional fitness is important ,heating the house using wood, that means collecting, chopping, and splitting, working the land, both activities keep me in shape and not forgetting the dam dog, two walks every day morning and night.
For transport my bicycles, with a wee trailer.
At the end of a working day always to knackered to "keep Fit"

Mongrel
That's the best type of fitness.

I've heard it called "old man" strength when the farmer can buck a hay bale over his hip even though he's no longer a young man. Many of us desk jockeys have to overcome our sedentary ways to be more active. Splitting wood is one of my favorite chores.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

I think I'd describe myself as 'robust but chunky'.

I often wonder if being on the slightly portly side would help in a genuine emergency involving food shortages. Certainly, my personal fuel tank would keep me going for quite a bit longer than others'...
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Bosworth wrote:I think I'd describe myself as 'robust but chunky'.

I often wonder if being on the slightly portly side would help in a genuine emergency involving food shortages. Certainly, my personal fuel tank would keep me going for quite a bit longer than others'...
+1

I'm no stranger to the hot dog stand, I still do weights (not seriously, and not often enough) and I walk the dogs for about 4 hours a day although its mostly a dawdle rather than a speed march. I don't consider myself as fit but I can walk all day with a bag on my back. Running any kind of distance is a distant memory now though, shame, I used to really love it too.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

This is one of my main weaknesses I admit. Having an office job means I am behind a desk most of the day so most of my fitness work comes from the DIY, gardening etc that gets done at the weekend. It is nowhere near enough and whilst my strength is pretty good, my stamina is certainly poor and definitely needs some work :(
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Jaeger48

Post by Jaeger48 »

Deeps wrote:

+1

I'm no stranger to the hot dog stand, I still do weights (not seriously, and not often enough) and I walk the dogs for about 4 hours a day although its mostly a dawdle rather than a speed march. I don't consider myself as fit but I can walk all day with a bag on my back. Running any kind of distance is a distant memory now though, shame, I used to really love it too.
I think some level of fat is beneficial as long as the situation does not require heavy exertion.

I bring this up because our preparation for various situations should account for capability. I have more "fun" survival equipment than I could ever carry if I couldn't use my vehicle. The amount of gear is dependent on my ability to carry because my wife will need to carry our son. It's not just my capacity to carry my supplies but the supplies for our family.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jaeger48 wrote:
Deeps wrote:

+1

I think some level of fat is beneficial as long as the situation does not require heavy exertion.

I bring this up because our preparation for various situations should account for capability. I have more "fun" survival equipment than I could ever carry if I couldn't use my vehicle. The amount of gear is dependent on my ability to carry because my wife will need to carry our son. It's not just my capacity to carry my supplies but the supplies for our family.
While I see the bugging out thing as a last choice option Mrs Deeps would be pretty useless as any kind of 'pack animal', Her Maj isn't particularly stoic or strong, I'm the pack beast in our wee posse. Like yourself I'd have to carefully choose what I was taking if we were leaving Casa Deeps.