Home growing and backyard chickens

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
The-Mendologist

Re: Home growing and backyard chickens

Post by The-Mendologist »

I would love to get a few hens for the manor but we have a serious fox problem here, nothing better than a fresh egg.

Can you eat fox!!!!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I know somebody who did, and wouldn't again! lol :twisted:
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Great set-up Grayman! We've got 1 bantam hen now and some herbs. Generally go scrumping and foraging for fruit. My neighbours have a great allotment and are semi-retired. We do swapsies with my eggs and their veggies.
Beardman

Post by Beardman »

I grow pretty much all my own veg. Nothing flash, just stuff that we use on a daily basis; onions, carrots, chard, herbs, potatoes, salad, various beans, courgettes, beetroot, kale, garlic, leeks. I have 6 raised beds which I grow that lot in. Also planted some fruit trees and got blackberrys in the garden and a rhubarb patch.

Next door had a 12 foot x 6 foot greenhouse they didn't want so I got that for free. Only needed a few new panes and they gave me some wine for getting rid of it for them. Result. In there we grow tomatoes, chillis, peppers, cucumbers, aubergine, a grape vine. The amount you can grow is unreal in terms of quantity.

I want chickens, that's next on the list. I would like other animals if possible but that's for the future. I'm pretty lucky in that my garden is about 120 feet long so I have plenty scope to grow much more if I want to and to keep some livestock. The stuff listed above is only at the top of the garden, the vast majority of it is lawned so space isn't a problem.

I hate having to pay for anything that I can grow myself now. Been doing this for about 5 years. Would advise anybody to do it, even if its just a box of herbs or a chilli plant in the kitchen window. You will be amazed how much you get back.