Caught unawares

How are you preparing
JSurvive

Caught unawares

Post by JSurvive »

There is probably a thread already about this, if so please point me in it's direction.

The chances are when the SHTF you won't be perfectly ready in your bunker. As someone who travels a lot I was trying to consider what I would do if a SHTF scenario began to unfold as I was away from home, for instance today I was on a train maybe 20 miles from where I lived with minimal supplies on me (125ml water + jumper in bag) if there was a mass power outage and there was no sign of it coming back on would you tend to attempt to stick it out or make the trek back on foot.

In a situation like an EMP power could be disrupted for months but it's risky to leave the immediate safety of the train when you don't know what is happening, but if something worse happened like a nuclear attack the trek seems extremely implausible.. But so is staying and waiting it out.
Area 3
cumbrianish

Re: Caught unawares

Post by cumbrianish »

Have you thought about an Edc bag?
Forewarned is forearmed
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

@JSurvive - there are a multitude of threads on here focusing on the scenario you mention and a bit of digging through this forum's EDC threads should have you formulating your own Every Day Carry items, based upon your own personal get-home, get-out-of-bad-situation needs.

I would not be on a powered-down train, 20 miles from home without my basic EDC kit which contains a glass breaker and mini-pry bar.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
JSurvive

Post by JSurvive »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:@JSurvive - there are a multitude of threads on here focusing on the scenario you mention and a bit of digging through this forum's EDC threads should have you formulating your own Every Day Carry items, based upon your own personal get-home, get-out-of-bad-situation needs.

I would not be on a powered-down train, 20 miles from home without my basic EDC kit which contains a glass breaker and mini-pry bar.
My main question was whether you would stick it out or trek back, even with an EDC kit your resources will be limited, assuming you had rations with your EDC kit they will still be extremely limited and you can't start waving round your well prepared kit in a train.. Others may want your carefully collected supplies.

Also what would the pry bar be for? Train doors have manual releases so it's not like your trapped in the train?
Area 3
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

JSurvive wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:@JSurvive - there are a multitude of threads on here focusing on the scenario you mention and a bit of digging through this forum's EDC threads should have you formulating your own Every Day Carry items, based upon your own personal get-home, get-out-of-bad-situation needs.

My main question was whether you would stick it out or trek back, even with an EDC kit your resources will be limited, assuming you had rations with your EDC kit they will still be extremely limited and you can't start waving round your well prepared kit in a train.. Others may want your carefully collected supplies.

Also what would the pry bar be for? Train doors have manual releases so it's not like your trapped in the train?
For the purpose of this thread, let's assume something catastrophic has happened to the train and I've assessed the situation and decided the best course of action for me is to exit. This scenario is not so far-fetched because last year the main line flooded between Taunton and Exeter and I believe a FGW InterCity was stranded without power.

You probably know more about modern train doors than I do because I'm not a regular train user so I am not 100% sure train doors default to manual, which is why my most basic EDC has a glass breaker and pry bar. As a general rule, I try not to go into places that I can't get out off, or at least stand a chance of getting out. In my day job, I visit premises which I have no prior knowledge of, for example, where the fire exit routes are, hence I'm happier knowing I have some basic get-out tools on me, or in my bag, should the need arise.

In this scenario, I'm now off the train along with a few others who have followed. I've not disclosed any of my EDC kit, other than one tool had it been necessary to force an exit. I would imagine I would wait a while to see what emergency services responded because I'm the sort of chap who would hang around to see if there was anyone who needed assistance. If the emergency services didn't turn up, I'd then decide whether to do the 20 miles home on foot, something my EDC pack/Everyday pack would enable me to do. For a list of contents check out my recent posts, I uploaded my mini-EDC belt kit a month or so ago and way back I posted my EDC get home pack which contained food, water, comms and shelter preps. This continually gets updated and revised depending upon the time of year and where I'm going, so my original post is probably not including some of my newer get-home kit.

As for mini-pry-bars, I've become a bit of a fan; my current EDC is a Tofty special and in my EDC day pack is a Leatherman Piranha. I've found they have a multitude of everyday uses.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Probably been covered in other threads but in such a situation a small portable radio or access via a phone would be very helpful in collecting information regarding the unfolding event . Trying to guess could easily put one in danger just as easily as helping.
With regards to the train scenario it would , to me at least , depend on circumstances. Generally speaking I would initially stay put unless there were a situation such as rising flood water , potential landslip or fires that were putting the stationary train in peril. Severe weather would also influence a decision , leaving the train into a blizzard for example might not be the wisest move.
If it is a simple case of breakdown there will still be contact with the "outside world" and train company employees will probably be informed of rescue or remedy works so worth speaking to one. If , however , there was no contact and several hours had elapsed then the decision to leave the train would become the increasingly prudent one.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Sat on a train at the moment sat right under a glass hammer and pull toggle to release window ;). Got my edc and a bit more just looking at a asda distribution centre not 500m away.... ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got some pics will upload them at some point to open train doors smash glass pull handle and shove door...

BEWARE OF PASSING TRAINS or downed power cables BEFORE EXITING!

Many have tool cabinets including first aid short circuit conductor bars to kill the 3rd live rail along with door ladders to aid your exit
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

@Yorkshire Andy

Is there a hammer/window release on every window or just a designated emergency window?
JSurvive

Post by JSurvive »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:@Yorkshire Andy

Is there a hammer/window release on every window or just a designated emergency window?
I think it varies across the train companies but I know most of the area 3 trains have emergency releases on all the doors so you can manually open the doors in the case of a power loss. I will try and nab some pictures next time I am travelling on train
Area 3