Preparing for dental issues

Medical and Healthcare
JSurvive

Preparing for dental issues

Post by JSurvive »

After cracking a tooth and having to sort out a trip to the dentist I began to wonder if anyone prepares for dental issues in a SHTF scenario.. A trip to the dentist may no longer be viable but leaving a damaged tooth could lead to serious issues later on..

In my research I have seen a lot of natural remedies and you can buy home temporary filling kits but I haven't ever seen it on peoples prepping lists.. Is it an oversight?
Area 3
Devonian

Re: Preparing for dental issues

Post by Devonian »

No not an oversight, have a read of this thread as an example....

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11100&hilit=dentist
unsure

Post by unsure »

you can gr temperin from asda or boots ect about 7 quid last time i got it , or you can get asda`s own cheaper version for around 3 quid .the temperin is far better and dentist quality stuff .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
JSurvive

Post by JSurvive »

Devonian wrote:No not an oversight, have a read of this thread as an example....

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11100&hilit=dentist
Ah Thankyou! I hadn't seen that thread! Exactly what I was talking about! You guys are more prepared than I give you credit for :)
Area 3
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

The thread that Devonian has linked to names Where There Is No Dentist, but here's a page linking to all of the books, No Dentist is the fifth one down.

Supplies: I prep toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, interdens, a couple of sets of probes and mirrors, and emergency filling material. Oh, clove oil and lavender oil too. And salt - I had a molar extracted from the top row recently, and the dentist recommended salty gargles.
fapplan

Post by fapplan »

Arzosah wrote:
Supplies: I prep toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, interdens, a couple of sets of probes and mirrors, and emergency filling material. Oh, clove oil and lavender oil too. And salt - I had a molar extracted from the top row recently, and the dentist recommended salty gargles.
Thanks for this list Arzosah. If anyone has ever had any significant problems with their teeth then they will know just how painful and debilitating it can be.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Arzosah wrote:The thread that Devonian has linked to names Where There Is No Dentist, but here's a page linking to all of the books, No Dentist is the fifth one down.

Got everything except for lavender oil, how do you use this regarding dental issues?? :oops: that's a new one on me :oops:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
birds&bees

Post by birds&bees »

Just stock up on ibuprofen? I mean before we had easy access to buckets of simple sugars did we even have dental issues?

I've never had a filling and barely make it to the dentist once every 5 years.

Stay off the candy and eat plenty of fibrious veg and you teeth will clean themselves! Only thing I fear is biting into a stone if I make a bread or porriage.

Maybe a dentist could weight in?
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Decaff wrote:
Arzosah wrote:The thread that Devonian has linked to names Where There Is No Dentist, but here's a page linking to all of the books, No Dentist is the fifth one down.

Got everything except for lavender oil, how do you use this regarding dental issues?? :oops: that's a new one on me :oops:
Possibly you've never heard of it because I got it wrong :oops: :roll: Lavender oil burned in an oil burner etc, can help with moderate anxiety http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4199191/ (which is why its recommended to put a few drops on a pillow, I guess) but since its used to *improve* circulation http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... e=lavender its not a good idea to use it dentally!

Tea tree oil: here's a properly scientific paper http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360273/ that I really, really haven't read all the way through, and here's the webmd page: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and- ... c-overview.

Sorry about that!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

birds&bees wrote:Just stock up on ibuprofen? I mean before we had easy access to buckets of simple sugars did we even have dental issues?

I've never had a filling and barely make it to the dentist once every 5 years.

Stay off the candy and eat plenty of fibrious veg and you teeth will clean themselves! Only thing I fear is biting into a stone if I make a bread or porriage.

Maybe a dentist could weight in?
I'm not a dentist :) but check out this description of a British Museum exhibition: https://www.britishmuseum.org/about_us/ ... eries.aspx

I went to see it just before it closed, and this poor guy is in there: "An adult male from Thebes mummified c600BC. The CT data reveals details of the process that has been applied to preserve this body – the brain and the internal organs have been removed, and the soft tissues are in good condition. A specially designed visualisation will show the man’s head on three sides of a large cube screen. His teeth were in a poor state and a 3D replica of his lower mandible –based on the scan data - will show two large dental abscesses."

Carbohydrates turn themselves into sugar to be absorbed by our bodies, I think (not a dietician either!) and our teeth are at risk from that for a good 40 minutes after we eat anything. Cleaning immediately after eating makes it worse, it *helps* that acid attack our tooth enamel.

I've started to research a blog post, can you tell :) its after the pain of the infection that necessitated the recent extraction.