IFAK

Medical and Healthcare
Yorkshire Andy

IFAK

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

been building up a small Individual first aid kit for when I'm out and about and come up with this:

Molle pouch Image

Contents

Triangle bandage

Israeli 4" trauma dressing

Standard wound dressing

Elastic bandage

Eye pad

Eye wash vial

2 large adhesive dressings

Adhesive tape.

Resus face shield

Plasters

Wipes

Scissors

Sterri strips

Foil blanket

2x wound pads

Finger dressing
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
dazthechippy

Re: IFAK

Post by dazthechippy »

i think thats a good effort, the main problem i think most people have is packing too much stuff.

I like the eye wash, thats always gonna be handy and avoids searching for water or using your drinking water and potentially wasting it.

Have you thought about paracetamol / piriton or meds like that?
Bad Wombat

Post by Bad Wombat »

How much did the pouch cost? Do you have a link for it?
alwayscross

Post by alwayscross »

I would personally add some blood clotting powder, used some last night and it works like a charm.
Morality is doing what's right, no matter what your told. Religion is doing what your told, no matter what is right.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Bad Wombat wrote:How much did the pouch cost? Do you have a link for it?
£12 all but a penny

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171444728431

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

alwayscross wrote:I would personally add some blood clotting powder, used some last night and it works like a charm.

Dare I ask what you did to need it :shock:

Been looking at celox for a while but unsure if the powder or gauze is the way to go

birds&bees

Post by birds&bees »

That vial of water for eye wash is next to useless. I'm not even convinced it's better than nothing.
With dry alkaline burns for example it might be enough to put it in solution but not enough to wash it out!

Eye washes are generally attachments to faucets effectively a mobile shower head.

Given it's size I'd replace it with a lifestraw type device.

The face shield is also mostly useless.

Otherwise looks good.

May seem harsh to call them useless but if you're going to carry something around you should maximise utility of the space you have.
alwayscross

Post by alwayscross »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
alwayscross wrote:I would personally add some blood clotting powder, used some last night and it works like a charm.

Dare I ask what you did to need it :shock:

Been looking at celox for a while but unsure if the powder or gauze is the way to go
I was doing a bit of wood carving when the blade snapped and cut my thumb, nothing major but it was just one of those cuts that would not stop bleeding. Added a bit of the powder with a small bandage, all good. I would recommend getting the powder over the gauze, ive used both and the powder works better (Plus multiple uses).
Morality is doing what's right, no matter what your told. Religion is doing what your told, no matter what is right.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

birds&bees wrote:That vial of water for eye wash is next to useless. I'm not even convinced it's better than nothing.
With dry alkaline burns for example it might be enough to put it in solution but not enough to wash it out!

Eye washes are generally attachments to faucets effectively a mobile shower head.

Given it's size I'd replace it with a lifestraw type device.

The face shield is also mostly useless.

Otherwise looks good.

May seem harsh to call them useless but if you're going to carry something around you should maximise utility of the space you have.

Having used both I'll beg to differ ;)

Came across a unconscious drunk 3 years ago chocking on vomit and not breathing once I cleared his airway... Resus aid over face and 2 rescue breaths he started breathing...

The eye wash is good for dust in the eyes and rinsing wounds to check for foreign bodies prior to dressing :)

birds&bees

Post by birds&bees »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Came across a unconscious drunk 3 years ago chocking on vomit and not breathing once I cleared his airway... Resus aid over face and 2 rescue breaths he started breathing...
Well you can do whatever you want of course. but proper management of that man in a resuscitation situation would be recovery position until you have adequate light to use McGill forceps no further into his mouth than you can see.

Why? Generally anything you can finger sweep out or see is not significant to comprise an adult sized air way, not seeing what you're doing puts you at risk of pushing stuff deep in their airway. Touching the back of the throat can cause a rapid fall in heart rate due to vagal stimulation theoretically this can cause a cardiac arrest if already compromised.

He's choking he's hearts beating so he's likely breathing so rescue breaths not required, (I think they were taking out in and in adults not recommended since 2010 but I'm not sure).

So all the resusaid did was expose you to drunkard vomit and delay life prolonging chest compressions.

Again you can do what you want but that small vial is not enough to toilet an eye or a wound. I think the benefits of a lifestraw outway the benefits of such a small vial of water but to each their own.

Generally I'd recommend doing as advanced a course as you can on life support (and repeating regularly) and staying within your means. I thinkt he british resus council guidelines on BLS and ALS are free for download and might make an interesting read.

Just my 2 cents.