Eating from preps

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
jansman

Eating from preps

Post by jansman »

Whilst fishing yesterday I fancied a shepherds pie, or cottage pie if you like. Whilst looking for ingredients at home I realised we had a number of BB date expiries. So we had a 'Prepper" meal.

Can of mince beef and onion, can of stew steak, can of peas and carrots. Chucked 'em in a purex dish and topped the lot with 1 pack of dried mash potato. Sliced a couple of tomatoes that were not being loved, and grated a little cheese that was in the same club! Put it on top, banged it in the oven for half an hour, and served it with frozen brussels. Plenty for three of us.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Decaff

Re: Eating from preps

Post by Decaff »

That sounds delicious!! I may have to make a freezer one of those!! ;)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Forgive the pun, but it is a piece of cake! I am a firm advocate of using what is in the fridge, especially towards the end of the week. The tomato and cheese is a nice touch, but optional. It just saved wasting a couple of items. Dehydrated potato can be bland, so I twisted a little salt in and a good amount of pepper.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I always remember the cheese on top but never remember to add peas or put tomatoes on top of the cheese, sounds superb!!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

What I am trying to do is to learn how to make my own "vegan cheeses", as I don't have dairy, but non fermented, mainly from vegetables, nuts and seeds but using tapioca starch and agar agar to set it. If I can find reliable and cheap sources for the agar and the tapioca starch (once I have designed my formula) then rustling up some fake cheese at any time could become doable.

The role of cheese in a meal is to provide energy and stodge, to make the food taste nicer, but also to make you feel more satisfied, you can't do that if you are dairy free, so I have to work at it somehow :)

Copying someone else's recipe is one thing, but working out the ratios and learning how much flexibility you can have with the ingredients is another.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
jansman

Post by jansman »

Good luck with that Nick. My Wife has an element of lactose intolerance. She can eat sheep or goat cheese, so it is what we have.

Robert Frost.

Me.
unsure

Post by unsure »

jansman wrote:Good luck with that Nick. My Wife has an element of lactose intolerance. She can eat sheep or goat cheese, so it is what we have.

please have a look in holland and barret , i have the same or similar . lactase enzyme , 3 before any suspect meal and your good to go . not cheap umless they have the penny sale on .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
jansman

Post by jansman »

Told her ladyship. Thanks for that Unsure.

Robert Frost.

Me.
unsure

Post by unsure »

jansman .
how did her ladyship get on , did she find any .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
jansman

Post by jansman »

Thankyou, yes she did. Seems to be working ( no complaining anyway! :lol: ). She does tend to let her diet slip though. That does not help. Thanks again.

Robert Frost.

Me.