Credit card knifes, Airport security beware!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
undomesticdiva

Re: Credit card knifes, Airport security beware!

Post by undomesticdiva »

Thank goodness for that! I was starting to panic then lol as long as I don't get into trouble as I'll be carrying it more soon for when me and the hubby get bikes
alwayscross

Post by alwayscross »

undomesticdiva wrote:forgive my ignorance here but is a fixed blade a one that doesn't move? so a multi tool is OK?
They sometimes let you get away if you have a reason e.g work, event happening.
Morality is doing what's right, no matter what your told. Religion is doing what your told, no matter what is right.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

What tool have you got undomesticdiva

if you have one of the later leatherman blast wave or similar you can get a bit set that covers alan keys and torx bolts

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leatherman-9310 ... B003E1QPZG

I cary my locking leatherman hiking and mountain biking im not one to wave it about and in the hills no one bats an eyelid
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
If your replying to the post above by undomesticdiva, devonian my 2 edc multi tools are legal (none locking and sub three inch"

Sorry, no, not aimed at diva, it was aimed at the OP.

Like you I also carry a 'legal' leatherman and most, but not all of the time, my my EDC legal Liong Mah #5
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

I've no idea it's not a named one, bought a good few years ago and has served me well, I can't afford a leatherman yet,sadly :(
IfInDoubt

Post by IfInDoubt »

As said early. those credit card things are illegal to carry without good reason (although I do carry one purely for the bottle opener feature - not a good enough excuse if found I suspect), and I vaguely recall a British Army officer working in London getting into a spot of bother when one was found on his person during a random British transport police search on the tube

Slightly connected incident happened when I had to submit my bag for a random search (as condition of entry to a Govt Building), in the bag, along with other bits and bobs was my EDC FAK which had a pair of blunt nose scissors - these were promptly confiscated under some anti terror rule, I couldn't be bothered to argue, and was thankful that they had not body searched me and found my SAK (I'd probably be in Guantanamo right now!).
Rogers: "Stark, we need a plan of attack"
Stark: "I have a plan; ATTACK!"

A man without at least one sharp pointy thing and the ability to start a fire is just a cold whining hairless ape
metatron

Post by metatron »

They will not even let you take a screw driver with changeable bits in carry on. You can't even have the bits, but for some reason you can have hex keys. I fly 4 to 6 times a month, and as I only go for a day or two I don't need stowed luggage, just carry on. Its cheaper to buy new basic tools and throw them in the bin on the way back then paying for luggage.

I really wish airports would profile people, so there were less silly rules.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

I got asked if I had a Swiss card or knife on me when flying several years ago just after they bought in the new sharp pointy things rule for hand baggage, I had to ask what one of them was before I could confirm I didn't have anything like that on me.

Prior to that a friend had flown with his nailgun and other tools as hand luggage....
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

This drives me crazy, last flight I took I was asked if I had any eyebrow tweezers in my luggage... Seriously, I think it would be virtually impossible to pluck someone to death no matter how long you had to do it! For you men folks that don't use them, they are blunt, very small and mine are less than 3" long in "blade" length.

Must say though that Mr Decaff didn't help matters any because he had decided to pack his poker chips, inside metal tubes inside his bag which sent the staff into a frenzy.... :oops: security were all over him in seconds and he was marched away to a room to be searched! :shock:
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
ticklemonkey

Post by ticklemonkey »

I got caught out at B'ham airport as I had forgot my leatherman in my hand luggage. Thankfully, the security/customs guy let me buy some stamps and padded envelope and let me post it home.
In the US I got caught and they took my inch long letter opener from my credit card tool and as the manager went passed he shouted 'good job' to the TSA guard who found it. I didn't mention that I had been through three times already due to flight change issues.
Got me in the end, oh well.