Moving to an island?

Homes and Retreats
CynicalSurvival

Moving to an island?

Post by CynicalSurvival »

Hi,

For reasons unrelated to prepping, I am thinking of moving to a (Scottish) island - I won't specify which one here, but it's one of the bigger ones with a few thousand population. Any thoughts on whether this is a good or a bad idea? On the one hand, islands have a low popn density, good agriculture and a good sense of community. The chance of 'marauding looters' has to be a bit lower! On the other hand, if the oil runs out my family would be pretty cut off. Supplies currently arrive daily by ferry. We don't have a canoe! :D Any thoughts?

Ty, CS
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
unsure

Re: Moving to an island?

Post by unsure »

go for it , with the money you save on fuel ect ,buy a boat . :D
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I'd be thinking of healthcare as we age, long-term livelihoods, neighbours, acceptance by community, cultural life, and opportunities for my kids. I don't know how much of that applies to you, but I don't fancy the idea of an island. We currently live in a conurbation of 250,000 ppl in the South-East. It has its problems but it also has good access, facilities, and we are working on building a community.
CynicalSurvival

Thanks :) Yeah I am not much of a city person anyway, and another advantage would be more or less no crime over there. True, though, Featherstick - as with a lot of small places there is an issue I think with kids growing up and leaving - no uni, limited jobs etc. I think the other issues would be ok, healthcare etc. As for culture, well...I guess I made it all sound very final - so as long as civilisation as we know it has not collapsed, I can still grab a ferry and visit the mainland!!
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

It shouldn't really be a big issue, but you will need to make sure you keep healthy store of supplies as that ferry will not be visiting everyday during the winter and essential supplies may not be available for a week or two during bad weather/storms etc.

I used to live on a slightly bigger island in the middle of the Irish sea population circa 60K and it was not really any different to anywhere else except when you wanted to get off the island...... We also had the daily deliveries from the mainland and when there was a storm, there were no deliveries of anything, fuel, milk, food, medicines etc...

You may find 'some' not all locals will be a bit off with you and see you as an outsider and you will also find there are times when you think I just need to get out of this place - but can't!

But I say go for it and good luck.
CynicalSurvival

Devonian wrote:It shouldn't really be a big issue, but you will need to make sure you keep healthy store of supplies as that ferry will not be visiting everyday during the winter and essential supplies may not be available for a week or two during bad weather/storms etc..
Thanks Devonian that's helpful - in some ways I see that as a plus, as it kind of forces people into more of a prepping mindset, and I would expect also more self-sufficiency than most mainlanders are used to. I don't imagine it would be considered at all weird to have a couple of months of food stores over there, for example.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Top Tip - most Islanders hate it when you refer to the 'mainland', to them it's just another (bigger) Island, which of course it is ;)
Waterbaby

Post by Waterbaby »

I'd fancy the idea of a Scottish island personally,but I'd have to be 100% that the whole family would be on board -without it'd be a non starter.
And I suspect it'd be a non starter.... :(
Tizzie

Post by Tizzie »

Is there anyway you could go for a trial period possibly over the winter months. Also if you did move there then instead of using oil to heat with, change to multi fuel stoves or such like.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Tizzie wrote:Is there anyway you could go for a trial period possibly over the winter months. Also if you did move there then instead of using oil to heat with, change to multi fuel stoves or such like.
And check out the midge situation too :).