Minimal 72 hour bag

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Mally

Re: Minimal 72 hour bag

Post by Mally »

If you can do 72 hours then with the addition of a few more skills (assuming you don't already have these ) there's no reason you couldn't live in the woods for a much longer period of time.
I'll look forward to hearing how you go on with your tfial 72 hours.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Well done mate, at least you have a bug out bag and by the looks of it you have spent some money on various items showing you have thought about the contents...
Never mind other peoples opinion... at least you have squared yourself away, your next step would be to test it, refine it.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Neverready,
I'm another in the bad back regiment.
I have neck damage as well as lower and mid spine damage.
Being a stubborn sod I was sticking to my guns that I was going to have a BOB,
Should your back improve you may like to think about the 60lt German army style backpack from Military 1st.
I find that even still not fully recovered I can wear the pack fully loaded for 72 hours with most the weight being realised just below the front of the shoulders (I tried mine in August for 72 hours)

This is the one I bought and I'm very happy with it, perhaps worth thinking about when your back gets as good as it gets. Always a bonus when youhave your hands free !!
http://www.military1st.co.uk/54-4011-01 ... olive.html

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
neverready

Post by neverready »

Hi Wulfshead,

You have my sympathy, it sounds like you have it much worse than me. I'm still battling with the NHS to get myself sorted. However they have told me that I have permanent nerve damage to the leg and suffer with foot drop now. I wear an orthotic to stop me limping so much and it has helped a lot with the pain.

Thanks for the heads up on the pack too. Looks great and a real bargain. I will definitely consider getting one for next year when hopefully the weather and my back will be better :D
Area 5.

Looking for woodland for gear testing/overnighters ;)
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Nice looking kit there sir.
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival
neverready

Post by neverready »

I am actually putting together a smaller kit as well. It will be based around a Grabber emergency blanket and a modified super shelter design. Basically it will be little more than the 5 c's plus a first aid kit and a few extras and should fit in a smallish waist pack.

Oh what it would be like to be young with a strong back and be able to carry everything and the Kitchen sink! :D
Area 5.

Waterbaby

Post by Waterbaby »

I'm interested in the choice of a hammock with a bad back.My guess would have been that a hammock wouldn't be very good for a bad back -interested in knowing what others have found, as I ,too,have a dodgy back.
munchh

Post by munchh »

There is a bloke I watch on youtube that broke his back but still uses one, although he was asked about it and because you have to think about using a underquilt or similar in our climate he recons you can go lighter with a ground shelter than with a hammock anyway, ive seen blokes doing vids where they are in -20 in a hammock but they need so many layers, I have some hammocks ive yet to sleep in, I like the idea of being off the ground, but not sure it would be something I would use other than in summer?
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
neverready

Post by neverready »

Well my thinking about my bad back and a hammock was that at least I wouldn't be on a the cold, hard floor. I tie my hammock very tight so it's as horizontal as possible and I find it pretty comfortable.

However I also think I can go lighter with a ground shelter and by using a fire to keep warm.
Area 5.

munchh

Post by munchh »

The problem with keeping your back wark in a hammock is that if you use a sleeping bag inside the hammock you squash the bag between you and the hammock and the cold gets to your back, you can have a big bag over the hammock and hang inside it like a coccoon but it needs to be a big bag?
I have various new age lilo type beds, they are far more light weight than they used to be and lighter than most roll mats that I have had a dead hip and cold back after using.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.