Water filtration for home

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
external

Water filtration for home

Post by external »

Has anybody here either have any experience with or already have their own water filtration system setup at home?

Currently I have one water butt which I am thinking of increasing to three and I am looking to setup some form of water filtration system, a quick google and I have seen some very large scale and some very small scale options but nothing in the middle. I have found one (Sawyer Products SP191 Point Zero Two Bucket Purifier Assembly Kit with Faucet Adapter) which removes 99.9% of bacteria also and has a 1litre per minute filtration with gravity flow. I am thinking of going with this unless anybody else has some better thoughts or ideas?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051H ... =geesgu-20
(sorry not sure how to link it in a smaller format like some people do).

Cheers
Ext.
Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.
Devonian

Re: Water filtration for home

Post by Devonian »

For a more permanent solution try this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Gravi ... +berkefeld
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

I only use and trust British Berkfeld filters, I get mine from Avonsoft, utter reliable, gravity fed and superb quality.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

If you're going to use regulary or just have money to burn you could do allot worse than the British Berkfeld, if you're on a budget and this is purely a just incase item I'd suggest getting a few (always have spares) of the silver impregnated ceramic candle filters and a couple of food grade plastic buckets.

There are several tutorials on youtube and it doesn't take 20minutes to put together.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
external

Post by external »

No i don't plan on using it other than in dire situations, so I want something that is simple to use and remember how to use. No real budget constraint though, can't put a price on peace of mind can you!
Partimehero

Post by Partimehero »

In the garden I have a water butt that feeds off the steel shed. This then feeds 3 120ltr barrels tucked out the way. Indoors I have 2 120ltr vessels that are always topped up.

If I need to consume the water outside I intend to strain it through a millbank type fabric filter and then boil. I have a few chemicals that could be added but boiling will be enough.
In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity

http://blueprintsaferooms.co.uk
external

Post by external »

Partimehero wrote:In the garden I have a water butt that feeds off the steel shed. This then feeds 3 120ltr barrels tucked out the way. Indoors I have 2 120ltr vessels that are always topped up.

If I need to consume the water outside I intend to strain it through a millbank type fabric filter and then boil. I have a few chemicals that could be added but boiling will be enough.
considering i'll hopefully never need to use it, that does seem the simplest and easiest to store solutions. I will get a whole load of tablets I think rather than boiling.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Purification tablets have a shelf life, bleach tablets don't I believe.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I'm probably being overly cautious but I use potable drinking water containers for my backup water collection, not garden centre water butts. I read somewhere that any old plastic is recycled into garden-use water butts.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

I find that the old fermentation buckets are pretty good and have a decent seal on them. I keep some of them filled in the shed and regularly empty, clean and replace the water.

The water butt under the rainwater spout from our stone shed got rather warm this year and started to breed some nasty looking buglets. I emptied it and disinfected it and it now has a new wooden lid to protect it from bug infiltration. The key to keeping it safe is to empty, clean and renew the water as often as possible.

Longer term is probably better with the close-sealed big bottles of water from the supermarket. Safer for drinking anyway.