What are you dehydrating?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
izzy_mack

Re: What are you dehydrating?

Post by izzy_mack »

Have just done my first ever dehydrating :) Started with mint mainly for teas, took forever! was surprised how long this takes but looking forward to doing more and getting into the way of it, will try apples and bananas next. Son loves jerky but I suggested we learn to walk first!

What is fruit leather kizzie?
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Thanks Hamradioop, Sounds tasty, will see if there's any rasps left and will try it, if not apples when they're ready.
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

Takes longer when its humid.
Ragdolly

Post by Ragdolly »

Herbs today - stevia, mint, raspberry leaves ( for tea - when the Tetley runs out), sage, tarragon, thyme.

NB - rasp leaf tea NOT for pregnant women!

I also dehydrate those cheap bags of frozen veggies. Then I vac seal them. Then I Mylar pack em.

Can you see my canner on the bottom :).

Yes I know these are drying naturally - to hot to get the Nesco out just yet.
junmist

Post by junmist »

sorry your picture did not come up :cry:
I dehydrate leaves such as herbs in the car as it reaches a high temperature for free and I'm planning to make something up to try drying fruit and veg in the car but that might not happen until next year.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Don't forget you can dry herbs in bunches by hanging them up in the kitchen, free of charge as you can reuse the string over and over.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Well although I got my dehydrator in April, due to my brother moving house and using my spare room to store stuff, I have only just got access to my dehydrator that had been inaccessible! ( I stupidly left on the bed in the spare room when we filled up the room with all his stuff. Oops. So anyway, I had my first go at dehydrating some carrots from the allotment today. I can use them in soups and stews over the winter. That is if I have any left - as my daughter has been munching on them all evening! I discovered that by dehydrating them, it intensifies the flavour and sweetness of the carrots. The first few chews seem a bit non descript but then the taste hits you and you can't stop munching. I only filled a couple of trays just to see how it went - no point in ruining an entire crop of carrots I thought. Well as it seems to work a treat, I will be filling it to the brim in the next few days and storing the produce in some kilner jars. I figured that for storage of several months, kilner jars would be ok as I don't have a vacuum sealer and those jars are quite air tight. Oh and both my daughters have asked for me to do some apples as apple rings that you buy in the shops are over priced so I shall be having a go at that too.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

PreppingPingu wrote:Well although I got my dehydrator in April, due to my brother moving house and using my spare room to store stuff, I have only just got access to my dehydrator that had been inaccessible! ( I stupidly left on the bed in the spare room when we filled up the room with all his stuff. Oops. So anyway, I had my first go at dehydrating some carrots from the allotment today. I can use them in soups and stews over the winter. That is if I have any left - as my daughter has been munching on them all evening! I discovered that by dehydrating them, it intensifies the flavour and sweetness of the carrots. The first few chews seem a bit non descript but then the taste hits you and you can't stop munching. I only filled a couple of trays just to see how it went - no point in ruining an entire crop of carrots I thought. Well as it seems to work a treat, I will be filling it to the brim in the next few days and storing the produce in some kilner jars. I figured that for storage of several months, kilner jars would be ok as I don't have a vacuum sealer and those jars are quite air tight. Oh and both my daughters have asked for me to do some apples as apple rings that you buy in the shops are over priced so I shall be having a go at that too.
Fantastic!! I have one on my present list this year!! Have you tried bananas?? Lovely to snack on.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
kizzie

Post by kizzie »

I have been making Pemmican. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pemmican
Its actually made into powered not paste as that link says. everything is dried then powdered.

Rather than use the dehydrator I did the drying in my oven. Lowest setting with the door a wee bit open.

This is much better than my dehydrator. No noise and the heat heated my home.
Dried bacon, liver,kidney beef, and berries all different types. Also rendered some beef fat.

Just waiting on the last bit of drying and will be putting it together after making up my mind what spices to use.