Mylar Bags and Oxygen Absorbers

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
mikeandrod

Mylar Bags and Oxygen Absorbers

Post by mikeandrod »

I've searched through various posts but can't seem to find if anyone knows of a good supplier of mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. There are quite a few places that do stock them including:

http://www.theselfsufficiencyshop.co.uk/
for bags and O2 absorbers

and

http://www.emcouk.com/index.shtml
suppliers to the food industry of O2 absorbers.

and Ebay of course.

The only problem is that the price compared to what is available in the USA is extortionate. I did email http://www.emcouk.com for a price on O2 absorbers but they don't want to sell to individuals like myself.
The only other thing I can think of is to buy a roll of mylar film and make my own bags. I just wondered if anyone has found a cheap solution to this problem?
Selfsufficientwoman

Re: Mylar Bags and Oxygen Absorbers

Post by Selfsufficientwoman »

Hi this store on Ebay does a nice variety and different sizes and they also sell oxygen absorbers separately (not sure what size your looking for) Their bags are 4.3 mil and 4.0 mil - most of the sellers in US sell 3.5 mil - huge difference in quality - I was surprised how 0.8 mil can make such a difference as a repeat customer I got 5% off my next purchase which was a nice bonus as there was no minimum purchase required.

Here is the link:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Emergency-Food ... upplies-UK

I purchased some bags from US prior to finding this store and got hit with Parcel force £8 handling charge and VAT, which really P****d me off after paying $74.00 USD on shipping which was overpriced it cost $45.00 USD - so its like paying shipping twice - so just bear that in mind.

I think that's issue - the Mylar Bags are made in the US so sellers don't have to import their bags and are cheaper - you also should check the strength of the bag which is important for long term food storage the 3.5mil is thin and shinny not opaque like the 4.0 mil and 4.3 mil
WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi

I have just ordered bags and absorbers from these people Conserva, they are a German company but they have an English language pages. I have been told their bags are thick and strong, I only ordered at the weekend and they were on holiday until the 21st so still awaiting my delivery.

The second place is LDS site. Now I was only told about this site again at the weekend. This is a very new site for the UK and over the last couple of days has had a couple of hiccups. I ordered some extra O2 absorbers from them and await delivery. It is just a pity that the #10 cans they have can not be delivered outside the continental US :(

Hope this helps

WW 8-)
Selfsufficientwoman

Had a look at the Conserva site - they are not bad - I think it depends on what your looking for and its important to do the maths.

I was looking at their packages of say 15 - 20 x 30 bags and 40 - 10 x 16 Bags - with oxygen 660 cc absorbers cost = 175 Euros the thickness is 4.3 mil which is good on the faced of it due to exchange rate

But did the maths and it works out £47.00 cheaper in UK on Ebay with http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Emergency-Food ... upplies-UK
(which includes oxygen absorbers 300cc oxygen absorbers for the 10 x 16 Bags and 2000cc Oxygen Absorbers for the 20 x 30 bags for 20 - 20 x 30 Bags and 40 10 x 16 Bags - 4.3 mil.

Its good though to know what other suppliers there are out there.

Are you looking for the actual #10 can??? because the 10 x 16 bags are the flexible equivalent to the #10 can.

Trying clicking on your LDS link just got US site with bibles - no mylar bags????
WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

They are on the Self-Reliance page as Dry-Pack Pouch HERE, 250 per box £63

You can change to the UK so things are priced in £s at the bottom of the page.

WW 8-)
Selfsufficientwoman

great - found them - thank you :)
hobo

Post by hobo »

I recommend the self sufficiency shop. I've used them a couple of times for mylar etc.

Hobo
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

WhiteWolf wrote:They are on the Self-Reliance page as Dry-Pack Pouch HERE, 250 per box £63

You can change to the UK so things are priced in £s at the bottom of the page.

WW 8-)
If the LDS have landed in the UK then this could be interesting - they are very into self-reliance and tend to keep a year's worth of food.

If they opened up food stores over here it would be BRILLIANT -and canning facilities! <excited> As long as they don't try and 'convert me'... :mrgreen:
WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

itsybitsy wrote: If the LDS have landed in the UK then this could be interesting - they are very into self-reliance and tend to keep a year's worth of food.

If they opened up food stores over here it would be BRILLIANT -and canning facilities! <excited> As long as they don't try and 'convert me'... :mrgreen:
The LDS have been with us for decades.

Yup I am also hoping they open food stores, but especially Canneries, but my credit card is now sitting in the corner shaking and crying uncontrollably :lol: :lol: :lol:

WW 8-)