Is anyone considering a boat?

Logistics and Transport
JOE90

Is anyone considering a boat?

Post by JOE90 »

In light of recent events is anyone considering a boat or canoe as another bug out vehicle. I've been fortunate as I only had a damaged fence and a very muddy garden. What's your views? I'm not sure if I should consider one.
Quercus-robur

Re: Is anyone considering a boat?

Post by Quercus-robur »

Seems like a logical backup BOV to me. I am lucky in that there has been no real flooding where I live. But I look at all the flooding on the news and think that a canoe would allow you to get you and your family out of isolated villages and reduce the pressure on the emergency services to get you. Once past the flooding you could make your way to family and friends or a rescue center. Obviously if the weather is extreme don't risk you or your families lives. I would personally only use a canoe, though, if I had been stranded for any length of time and my supplies were running low and it was safe to attempt to leave the area.

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A small inflatable would make transporting stuff through shallow flooding ( wellie or knee high wading) easier.

Something a bit bigger if you're planning an Evac

Canoe? Only if you practice with it... And stay out of fast flowing rivers (Did they find the guy who went missing in his canoe?)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
lightningxl

Post by lightningxl »

Inflatable with 3.5 - 6hp outboard for transporting a couple of people and some gear or RIB (Ridged Inflatable Boat) with a bigger engine. I have a sailboat with a cabin only prob got a 25ft mast and a 3 ft keel... Good to bug out to sea when the SHTF!
KrisWard

Post by KrisWard »

Quercus-robur wrote:Seems like a logical backup BOV to me. I am lucky in that there has been no real flooding where I live. But I look at all the flooding on the news and think that a canoe would allow you to get you and your family out of isolated villages and reduce the pressure on the emergency services to get you. Once past the flooding you could make your way to family and friends or a rescue center. Obviously if the weather is extreme don't risk you or your families lives. I would personally only use a canoe, though, if I had been stranded for any length of time and my supplies were running low and it was safe to attempt to leave the area.

Qr

I am of the same opinion..well said Sir.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Really depends where you live, if you live in the middle of the Somerset levels or the Fenns, then yes. But if you live somewhere like I do where it is pretty hilly, then a boat will be of no use at all.

Though at the same time,there are a couple of marina's local to me on the main river from where any number of boats could be obtained if needed ;)
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I was asking the OH if its too late to BUILD Noah's Ark, her reply was "yes, you'll have to BUY one!" :lol:
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

lonewolf wrote:I was asking the OH if its too late to BUILD Noah's Ark, her reply was "yes, you'll have to BUY one!" :lol:
Just get collecting all those blue barrels from the farms and you'll be able to use them to make a raft :lol:
Survivalist85

Post by Survivalist85 »

I have seriously considered a boat for some time now. Some time ago i bought an inflatable 2 man canoe from aldi. £35 ish and it packs up into a box nicely for transport. I now have a new job on the river and am looking more seriously at a cabin cruiser. You can pick these up on ebay for next to nothing really, compared to a camper van or an aircraft. Obviously i need to speak with local clubs to find out running costs, maintenance costs and berthing costs etc but its a great hobby to look into. You also get to meet some great people that are more than helpful.

For a long term bug out there are plenty of islands off the coast of the UK and with a boat you can live on moored of the coast of an island your pretty well defended really.
Survivalist

Better To Have & Not Need Than To Need & Not Have!
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

Devonian wrote:
lonewolf wrote:I was asking the OH if its too late to BUILD Noah's Ark, her reply was "yes, you'll have to BUY one!" :lol:
Just get collecting all those blue barrels from the farms and you'll be able to use them to make a raft :lol:
I've done that before but somehow the lashings always came apart! :lol:
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.