Canal Boat

Homes and Retreats
Jack the Lad

Re: Canal Boat

Post by Jack the Lad »

I know a guy who crosses the channel every couple of years in his, as malt says he built his from scratch out of sheet steel.
Ive never considered living in one as my life wouldn't fit but for some this could be the ideal BOV and BOL all in one.
KrisWard

Post by KrisWard »

Malthouse wrote:
And as for moorings, free is not unheard of if you look in the right places.
I recall when i looked into it, if you dont have a mooring, you can be asked to move along as it were, not a stable way of getting by really.

But living on a canal boat, I have heard is amazing, but as Malthouse also said look waht you can get for £60k, which is the price of a house..I know I personally would prefer a house given the choice but that being said in a SHTF situation, you are much more able to disapear quietly as I wouldnt imagine the canals would get as clogged up as the roads would.
Survivalist85

Post by Survivalist85 »

Ever so slightly off subject i have always considered a boat as a perfect BOV. So many islands off the coast of the UK. I regularly search ebay for cabin cruisers and there are some lovely examples for well under £10k. I am currently in the shipping industry (ships rather than boats) but i have some great contacts locally. Everyone is so friendly when you need prices for moorings etc dig up some numbers online and give them a ring. 99% of boat owners will be more than happy to help.
Survivalist

Better To Have & Not Need Than To Need & Not Have!
mallie99

Post by mallie99 »

Survivalist85 wrote:Ever so slightly off subject i have always considered a boat as a perfect BOV. So many islands off the coast of the UK. I regularly search ebay for cabin cruisers and there are some lovely examples for well under £10k. I am currently in the shipping industry (ships rather than boats) but i have some great contacts locally. Everyone is so friendly when you need prices for moorings etc dig up some numbers online and give them a ring. 99% of boat owners will be more than happy to help.
Just done a quick lookup... They're basically like caravans but on water! Quite like that idea (the SOH would kill me that very day, though!)

Do you actually need to know anything about boats and water and stuff?
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

KrisWard wrote:
But living on a canal boat, I have heard is amazing, but as Malthouse also said look waht you can get for £60k, which is the price of a house
£60K for a house?? not around here it isn't, even a basic starter house put a 1 in front!!!
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
mallie99

Post by mallie99 »

lonewolf wrote:
KrisWard wrote:
But living on a canal boat, I have heard is amazing, but as Malthouse also said look waht you can get for £60k, which is the price of a house
£60K for a house?? not around here it isn't, even a basic starter house put a 1 in front!!!
Okay then, how about this little runabout?
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

mallie99 wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
KrisWard wrote:
Okay then, how about this little runabout?
£225K?? yeah right.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

mallie99 wrote:Do you actually need to know anything about boats and water and stuff?
There is no compulsory training or test you have to pass, however learning to use a boat through a qualified instructor is both fun and educational. The inland waterways course covers all the etiquette as well the safety stuff, so well worth a couple of days doing.

You could also take a narrow boat holiday with someone who knows their stuff, that way you can try before you buy and pick up some tips too. :)
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Last year in the floods, some narrowboat living people (IIRC) were asked to give up their homes in case they ended up becoming a floating disaster in the fast flowing waters of the floods. So even boats can be problematic in flood conditions.

On top of that, apart from sneaky "guerilla gardening" and a few small containers on the deck and roof, where are you gonna grow your veg and fruit?

Just being devils advocate here.

On the other hand, the water for washing would be free, and if you could properly purify it on board (remove the cow sh@t, the rat p@ss, bacteria, mould, viruses and fungus, spilt oil and fuel, copper based defowling from the under sides of the other river going boats), then thats the drinking water in an emergency dealt with too.

Then you just need your solar arrays, wind turbine, batteries and inverters with appropriate wiring, denatured ethanol stoves and gas stoves, solid fuel stove for heating, solar shower, backup generator, 3G or 4G telephone and internet and then you are done.

More or less.

Refrigeration might still be a pain though.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
triffid

Post by triffid »

mallie99 wrote: Okay then, how about this little runabout?

Lightweight. This is my BoB.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tclub.html :mrgreen: