skills list

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Dragonzen

skills list

Post by Dragonzen »

hiya all im writing my written plan if the shtf however i was wondering im writing a list of skills that would be useful if something was to happen ie woodcraft, electrical etc so that atleast i can get basic knowledge of all. if anyone knows of any or any websites that would help this would be great
Rearfang

Re: skills list

Post by Rearfang »

Need to be a bit of a all rounder or maybe with others with nesasary skills
Essential skills I think all of us need
First aid
Cooking ect
Then any extra skills are a bonus
Foraging
Shelter building
Fire lighting
Mechanic
List is endless as none of us really know for sure what way the shtf will happen
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Don't know if it can really be classed as a skill be I'd say the key one to have is adaptability. Any situation from unemployment to alien zombies surfing a tsunarmi can have a number of out comes and it is the ability to adapt to one's cercumstances that will pay out in the end.
Dragonzen

Post by Dragonzen »

I would say adapting is a good skill to have aswell as leadership and working under pressure. Would you see military tactics as one aswell as no doubt we be up against military soon or later
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

In order to work out what skills you think you will need it might be worth while thinking about what can go wrong and in order of likelihood. For instance, its more likely that i will get problems with money and wont be able to afford food shopping then it is for the entire global system to collapse, it is more likely that power cuts will happen then we will get riots again, its more likely that the washing machine will fail than we will get a tsunami, that the fridge will stop working rather than being invaded by aliens and the like.

So if yo are thinking about skills, maybe (just IMHO) prioritize them in accordance with likelihood of various shtf situations first.

naturally the shtf situations you will be facing will be affected by your current lifestyle and situation etc.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Looking at the sensibility of Nick's comment it seems to me that the most useful of skills is to have lived your life trying wherever you can to fix your own breakdowns, the willingness to get your own hands dirty rather than pay or cry for someone else's help, what one man can do- another man can do, adaptability yes, information to refer to is good, so the biggest skill is to not be helpless but to be useful.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
the big fly in

Post by the big fly in »

Hello

I would recomend THE PREPER PODCAST he has a thing called "13 skills" this would be what you are looking for..//??

I realy quit like this this thread.

Skills, well lets look at some examples. economic collapses in south america for instance. the person who can organised food always seemed to be the MAN.

me I am not that man, I think I will learn as a skill, parlay for the purposes of survival is to:
build and use a still to make Vodka! PURELY for educational purposes of course.

then I think dentistry would be good. don't know where one would get some basic dentistry traing?? then the Vodka would really come in handy here (purely for the medical aspect of course!!)

mabe lern to play a musical instrement, then I could open a dance hall place for people just to chill, mabe even trade some Vodca??

Bush skills are a little waisted, if I look at Cuba after the fall of ussr, basic gardening skills to grow food be it plant or proteen, was more emportant than bush skills.

dont know?? mabe we could start a list of top ten skills needed:
for day to day (power out , no water no gas from snow) 0 to 10 days
for quaranteen (40 to 80 days)
economic or war (2 to 5 years)

skill number 1 above all others is "to know your area" this can take some time! but a very important skill.
walk round your area, every where! this is for a security aspect in cas of riots fire flood snow mud slides trees falling road bloced from a reck , or washed away by water. get an OS map and walk the erea, see what is hi what is low? are you near an air port with flue dumps, gas maines maine line water gas flue pipes things that can blow up or burn giving off nixious smoke and fumes. know your area.

skill number 1

and get to know some of your nabours. not just next door but even a block away.

duna what do you guys tink??
MAN SCOUT ex boy scout

http://ecape1820.tripod.com/