Hello from the midlands

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
nickdutch

Hello from the midlands

Post by nickdutch »

Hi there. My name is Nick and I am based in the UK Midlands area. I am interested in self sufficiency. It is a subject that I have been interested in since I was a child and now I am just a few years south of forty, its about time I started doing lots of little things to help my eventual transition.
What is my motivation? It isn't fear, it is fun and also to carry on with the kind of cub scout mentality of being prepared. However, I do believe that water, electricity and gas may become more expensive with time so if we can do something to help out now then we will be ok in the future.

I have already learned how to make my own solar panels from broken photovoltaic cells and have a 100 Watt panel wired into a Grid Tie Inverter reducing the cost of my electricity marginally. Got to make more !!
I have learned ow to make wood gas stoves for cooking (3 – 8 months of the year if the weather is ok) and have plans to make larger ones for more low cost cooking solutions. I have got my hands on a distiller so that I can take not so good water and can turn it into good water (however this one requires electricity, must get one that I can run off a camp fire or hob!) and a dehumidifier so that I can make the bad water in the first place if I have no rain water etc., to lay my hands on.

I have stocked up on gas bottles from cooking if we get a power cut in the winter and still need heat and cooking power but I wouldn't mind making a hydrogen stove for indoor gas cooking WTSHTF in whatever way :).

I have also invested in a small and cheap dehydrator which I have been enjoying using and will soon be using to store up dried apples and vegetables for the winter. I also have a slow cooker which can be useful for cooking the dehydrated foods.

Everything that I am doing I am starting VERY small and seeing how I go. Maybe one day I will have enough of everything to do the job, but for the moment it has to be seen as a hobby and for fun.

8-)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
CardiffGuy

Re: Hello from the midlands

Post by CardiffGuy »

Welcome to the forum Nick,

Im sure a few other members and mods will be along shortly to also welcome you.

CardiffGuy
silverrider

Post by silverrider »

Welcome :)
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Welcome to the site. Sound like you have already found your prepping hat - hope you can find support and info here to help you

(oooo, prepping hat smiley needed please scoobie..... :D )
Dutchie Delta

Post by Dutchie Delta »

Hello Nick, welcome here.
Couldn´t help but wonder about the dutch bit in your nick. Are you from the Netherlands, tightfisted or a smoker? :mrgreen:
Furrytired

Post by Furrytired »

Welcome! Would love to see how you have your solar panels (unsubtle hint!) :D
Beards

Post by Beards »

Hello and welcome!! :D
DeltaSierra

Post by DeltaSierra »

Hello and welcome form another Midlands based prepper :)
luxor

Post by luxor »

hello and welcome nick