New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
barron101

New Prepper

Post by barron101 »

Greeting fellow preppers, i am a 52-year-old man who lives in a two birth caravan. I am Prepping using my Honda Generator as the core of my equipment. i have a pump that allows me to move fuel into a container, and a 6000lumin waterproof lamp for good long term light.
even though if the hammer does fall and petrol becomes scarce i have a gas bottle adapter so duel fuel should help.
I am an ex Paramedic and have been retired after a 17-year career and I'm bringing this to my skill set to help my family and others.
with covid and a Government is clasping at straws to combat this threat. I understand it is a difficult time in our history, but I'm prepping for that mainly, as i don't want to live in an authoritarian society.

I am buying 5 ltr bottles of water but luckily i have a on tap supply of water in my camp site. my car is my bug out vehicle. it holds my Generator, Petrol. my first aid kit, and 3 torches two rechargeable and one sola powered. I carry a Leatherman tool with various adapters. A crowbar and a hammer come pry bar tool to help myself and others. I have a body camera to use in a confrontational situation, it has been proven that people whos face is digitally recorded are less inclined to cause problems. its also good to capture the event and then download them to my laptop. As I've said i have a Generator it also has an inverter so my more sensitive equipment computer camera equipment etc is protected.
I need some advice on how i can can build a Faraday Cage for my sensitive equipment. I have a lot more to talk to you about and any and all advice is welcome please. PEACE
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

PreppingPingu

Re: New Member

Post by PreppingPingu »

hullo and welcome :)
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, barron - sounds like you've done a lot of thinking about how to protect yourself and how to house yourself safely.

As for a Faraday Cage ... I have researched it at one stage, but I couldn't tell you how to do it right now, it's the sort of thing thats "use it or lose it". The crucial bit I can't remember is whether it needs earthing or not. One of the people who actually *know* this stuff will be along at some stage, I hope they can help more. Keep searching right here on the forum, though.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. As a caravan dweller, you maybe bring a different perspective to the group, with bugging in and bugging out having quite different meaning and with storage space at a premium?

Please contribute your perspective.

As to faraday cages, I recall that microwave ovens are already built cages. How they keep microwaves in is how a faraday cage keeps them out, though 'tuned' to certain wavelengths. google 'faraday cage microwave'

I read that earthing them is irrelevant.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

A Faraday cage is an earthed metal cage. The more conductive the metal the better.
Have a search on this site as there was a discussion about them a few months ago which has more details.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

And microwaves have a built in earth in the power cable
barron101

Post by barron101 »

thank you all for your comments just dusted off my CB Radio and wind up the radio come torch and port for our charging needs. I'm slowly getting what i envision to being an all-rounded Prep. Sadly I feel the world is on a knife-edge with covid mutating. it's scary how Blyth the government is responding to what ma become ungovernable times. going to buy a waterproof cooking stove as soon as I can afford it. As my generator which is locked in my car with a large lock and chain on it will allow me to see in the dark cook a meal keep my food cold thanks to a portable fridge, and a rechargeable battery starter just in case I need to Borrow a Vehicle cough cough. and please if you have any ideas please pass them on. Knowledge is power.
Be well and Safe all

Geff
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

barron101 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:32 pm thank you all for your comments just dusted off my CB Radio and wind up the radio come torch and port for our charging needs. I'm slowly getting what i envision to being an all-rounded Prep. Sadly I feel the world is on a knife-edge with covid mutating. it's scary how Blyth the government is responding to what ma become ungovernable times. going to buy a waterproof cooking stove as soon as I can afford it. As my generator which is locked in my car with a large lock and chain on it will allow me to see in the dark cook a meal keep my food cold thanks to a portable fridge, and a rechargeable battery starter just in case I need to Borrow a Vehicle cough cough. and please if you have any ideas please pass them on. Knowledge is power.
Be well and Safe all

Geff
When you say waterproof stove what are you looking at ?

For cheapskates these are good

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Woo ... Swfs5fKLv2

Dry wood from hedge bottoms to wooden cat litter pellets
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine