What reasons do people have for prepping?

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Raginggranny

What reasons do people have for prepping?

Post by Raginggranny »

I am an old woman. I live in a remote rural location in Scotland and yet I have iodine tablets and liquid. All the kit like wind up radio, torches, food stores and importantly a burner phone and an old phone to plug into to telephone system with no electrical requirement. Lists of emergency contact addresses, phone numbers and that of family and friends etc etc.
But why; I don’t want to survive a disaster as my partner and I are expendable but I want to maximise the chance of our children and grandchildren to survive and to get to this safe secure house with its own water supply etc. They scoff at my preparations but I carry on.
What reasons have other people for prepping?
jansman

Re: What reasons do people have for prepping?

Post by jansman »

Welcome to the forum.An odd introduction,but an introduction nevertheless.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Hi from another mad old bat up in the Scottish hills :mrgreen: I once got talking to a very respectable lady at a Spinners Guild meeting, of all things. Big circle of ladies all sitting spinning or knitting - very Miss Marple-y. Yet as we got talking I found out she too was a prepper, she had an ancient Land Rover that she could take to bits herself, and she listened to Radio Moscow to find out what was really going on.. Old ladies know things :lol:
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Not that our children would ever admit it, Lil!!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It's good to surprise them :twisted:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

I prep because it makes financial sense.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

What a fabulous, bold, and honest opening gambit :) Hats off to you and such an inspiration!

A very warm welcome from someone in an entirely different life arrangement :)

I prep because I want to live for as long as I can, to look after those I love as best I can, and to insulate as many people as I can from true hardship if it ever arose.
Raginggranny

Post by Raginggranny »

Thank all of you so much for the warm, welcoming and amazing responses. I’ll continue getting kit together ready for whatever is coming..... and it is coming in some form!
I may ask for advice soon but in the meantime, I’m surprised and joyful as this “community” seems very interesting.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Welcome from another freak from the highlands. I too spend more time considering family needs rather than my own. I too have a phone which requires no electricity, although my using one does. ( no mobile reception here). I have batteries, candles, torches , paraffin lamps, windup radio/torch etc etc . Loads of food, much home grown, both of which I pass on to family as use by dates get near. I don't actually eat a lot of what I store, but would if I had to, so I'm really storing for them, no way could I see grandchildren go hungry. I liked your intro. it was -almost brutally- honest and rang bells with me. I'm prepping for financial problems, my own or my family's, not neccesarily universal problems but personal ones and for anything that life throws at us again not just the big stuff.
bobble

Post by bobble »

We're prepping to ease any possible financial problems which may come down the line. Collapse of banking system and transport /food supply systems mainly. We are not able to cover all possibilities so have picked the ones we considered to be the most likely to affect us and where we felt we could offset some of the negative fallout.