newbie from S.Wales

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
dave

newbie from S.Wales

Post by dave »

Hi everyone. My first time here, don't know what to expect. But need to know what plans/actions we should be taking at this time. we have a stock room with food water and camping stoves and gas enough for approx 6 months. all advice very much appreciated . xxphil UK
bobble

Re: newbie from S.Wales

Post by bobble »

Welcome to the forum! Loads of info on here and the people are really helpful!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

dave wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:50 pm Hi everyone. My first time here, don't know what to expect. But need to know what plans/actions we should be taking at this time. we have a stock room with food water and camping stoves and gas enough for approx 6 months. all advice very much appreciated . xxphil UK
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Wide range of prepper styles here, all happy to share ideas.
None of us knows what the future holds, so we each assess what risks we perceive and then prepare for them. That might be anything from losing employment, illness, isolation, power outage, right through to nuclear apocalypse. We then take reasonable steps to prepare for reasonable risks. There's lots of right ways and even the wrong ways might give us an edge. Some of us tick off one scenario as prepared for and then move on to prep for the next most likely or most worrying.
Personally, I just like to be ready to not be hungry if society breaks down: To not be phased by the most sudden or horrendous lockdown: To thrive in a 1970s type time of power outages and shortages.
You do well to have 6 months food and supplies. I recommend, you assess where there might be gaps and opportunities. Practice recipes, look at stock rotation.
Covid lockdowns proved a great dress rehearsal and though I have a generous stash of supplies, I saw gaping holes and fill them ASAP.
US political situation and it's potential to mess up the world is a worry to me, though this forum is something of a politics free zone.
We live in interesting times.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.
We were all newbies once so I'm sure you will find your feet pretty quickly, we are a pretty good bunch overall. :lol:
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, Dave. Six months already is a tremendous start! Good for you. Food, water and fuel is brilliant - how about first aid and otc medications? If you get a wound that needs any bigger than a plaster, the number of dressings you can go through is astonishing, for example.

Plenty on the forum, though, there are experts and there are people who learn as they go along.
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

Welcome Dave,

It seems as though you've started in the right way. You can mostly expect a group of normal folks who prefer to take precaution against mishap and/or calamity, and not the negative stereotype which conventional media seems to portray. That's it really.

Don't be afraid to have a chat. You'll get out as much as you put in. Folks here are knowledgeable and friendly.
As Jenny says, start with the most likely scenarios and branch out in complexity.
Fortune Favours The Prepared.