'Viking' Prepper-Fam Seeking LMP for Fellowship and Training.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Son Of Andrew

Re: 'Viking' Prepper Longship Sets Sail.

Post by Son Of Andrew »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:01 am Welcome Son of Andrew, hope you find what you are looking for. (That sounds kind of "Lord of the Rings") :lol:

Ahhh. Pastor Joe Fox. That man has the largest coffee mug I've ever seen. :D

Enjoy the forum.
Thanks, Arwen. I appreciate your kind welcome. It's good to be here. Unfortunately, as a new member, I'm unable to send PMs, but I will respond to you in time, when I'm able. Regarding your question, we're building a network, so we are based all over the UK. Once folks have met each other a number of times, become acquainted, and are in personal agreement, they will form local groups or MAGs close to home.
Good to know one or two folks here know our Chieftain, Joe Fox. His coffee cup is indeed mighty, verily. =0)
I'm looking forward to learning and meeting others on this board, and I'm sure it'll be a beneficial experience for me and the Vikings. Hopefully, in time, I can also impart some small amount of wisdom to others less prepared along the way. We're all here to help each other, of course, and that's the very purpose of organisations like ours, and ukpreppers.co.uk; to put people in touch with friends and allies, and to fill the gaps in each other's knowledge or preps.

Hopefully I'll see you around.
Cheers,
M.
Fortune Favours The Prepared.
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

That's awesome info, friend, thank you. I really do appreciate it.

That's what I was looking for, a basic overview, a starting point, something to work towards. I spent last night going through the boards, following the links and reading the associated resources as much as possible. I have to say, as someone who is not very tech-savvy, I find the information rather bewildering, but I think I'm starting to get a sense of how the principles work.

I think it best, for now, if I learn how to use my baby Baofeng to the best of my ability, and take things from there. I've also got a few pennies to save before I can afford to invest a thousand pounds, and I'll need something to do in the meantime!

May I ask, please, why don't you like the RD5R? I'm just wondering if it's something that a seasoned user might find irritable, but something perhaps which might not bother, or be noticed by, a novice.

Cheers,
M.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I am not keen on DMR as the sound is robotic at times, the RD5R is difficult to use, program and to change channels on. I am also very anolog based. On your training, hopefully you can try out other peoples radios and see what you like.
When you meet a ham who tells you their radio is the best, and you need this antenna or that cable.....walk away! Take advice not their shopping list, you need to find your own path in ham as it is very varied
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

cbp125 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:58 pm I am not keen on DMR as the sound is robotic at times, the RD5R is difficult to use, program and to change channels on. I am also very anolog based. On your training, hopefully you can try out other peoples radios and see what you like.
When you meet a ham who tells you their radio is the best, and you need this antenna or that cable.....walk away! Take advice not their shopping list, you need to find your own path in ham as it is very varied
Thanks for your opinion on the Baofeng, and your excellent advice. I really appreciate it.
I now realise it's a very complex subject and there are no shortcuts, it'll take a fair amount of homework on my part, and it's not a field in which anyone can simply inform you of your personal requirements. It's going to take some work, so the only way forward at the moment is to learn to use my Baofeng, and follow the Foundation license course.

Looking forward to getting started on my own HAM journey in about a week's time when my course starts.
If I have any more questions, I'll raise them in the Comms forum in the correct manner.

I appreciate you taking the time to inform me, cbp, and hopefully I'll see you around.
Thanks, all the best,
M. =0)
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

No problem and ask away. Ham is also very personal to your requirements, how big is your garden, do you get on well with your neighbours, do you have money for expensive components, do you enjoy building electronic projects etc etc. As you progress you will find your way, ideally chat with your local hams after your licenced, see what they all use, see what your local problems are etc. Conditions vary greatly, if you live in the scottish hills, you could have/build a huge antenna farm and work the world with ease. If you live in central london, you might have to build an antenna into the guttering of your house or around your window frame etc. So many options, so many paths. Try to remember to enjoy it 73
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

cbp125 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:59 pm No problem and ask away. Ham is also very personal to your requirements, how big is your garden, do you get on well with your neighbours, do you have money for expensive components, do you enjoy building electronic projects etc etc. As you progress you will find your way, ideally chat with your local hams after your licenced, see what they all use, see what your local problems are etc. Conditions vary greatly, if you live in the scottish hills, you could have/build a huge antenna farm and work the world with ease. If you live in central london, you might have to build an antenna into the guttering of your house or around your window frame etc. So many options, so many paths. Try to remember to enjoy it 73

Yes, I realise that now, many things can affect the signal, there's no one-stop-shop solution. Your comments have been invaluable. Thank you. I'm looking forward to it. I've been reading the Baofeng thread here (and my foundation license manual) and learning a lot. I managed to pick up a couple of guys near me and I felt a huge sense of achievement. I would've liked to talk of course, it felt a bit weird listening in without announcing myself, but hopefully I'll be able soon enough.

Cheers,
M.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Son Of Andrew wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:14 am
cbp125 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:59 pm No problem and ask away. Ham is also very personal to your requirements, how big is your garden, do you get on well with your neighbours, do you have money for expensive components, do you enjoy building electronic projects etc etc. As you progress you will find your way, ideally chat with your local hams after your licenced, see what they all use, see what your local problems are etc. Conditions vary greatly, if you live in the scottish hills, you could have/build a huge antenna farm and work the world with ease. If you live in central london, you might have to build an antenna into the guttering of your house or around your window frame etc. So many options, so many paths. Try to remember to enjoy it 73

Yes, I realise that now, many things can affect the signal, there's no one-stop-shop solution. Your comments have been invaluable. Thank you. I'm looking forward to it. I've been reading the Baofeng thread here (and my foundation license manual) and learning a lot. I managed to pick up a couple of guys near me and I felt a huge sense of achievement. I would've liked to talk of course, it felt a bit weird listening in without announcing myself, but hopefully I'll be able soon enough.

Cheers,
M.
Where abouts in the country are you? I don't need specific but your nearest big town helps. Also if you look on your mobile there should be an app called "repeater book" or similar, this will have frequencies near you. Repeaters listen on one frequency and transmit out again on another, usually from a nice high spot. With a UV5r repeaters will be your freind.

Try to listen to hack green SDR as well as you will get much more understanding of long distance radio.

Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

[/quote]

Where abouts in the country are you? I don't need specific but your nearest big town helps. Also if you look on your mobile there should be an app called "repeater book" or similar, this will have frequencies near you. Repeaters listen on one frequency and transmit out again on another, usually from a nice high spot. With a UV5r repeaters will be your freind.

Try to listen to hack green SDR as well as you will get much more understanding of long distance radio.

[/quote]

I'm near ****** and ******** (edited). For better or worse, I don't use a smart phone. =0)
Last edited by Son Of Andrew on Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Son Of Andrew wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:26 pm

[/quote]

I'm near Royston and Bedford. For better or worse, I don't use a smart phone. =0)
[/quote]

I fully agree with not having a smart phone, I do not even have a mobile at all however the repeater apps are quite good. The repeaters are all on the RSGB website but takes a bit more understanding
Raven

Re: 'Viking' Prepper-Fam Seeking LMP for Fellowship and Training.

Post by Raven »

Son Of Andrew wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:09 pmMy friends and I are a small group of people here in the UK looking for other like minded individuals that believe in preparation, food production, self reliance and building a network of skill sets for our mutual benefit. An element of faith is valued, although we are a non religious and non political organisation. We met through Pastor Joe Fox's Viking Preparedness and have become our own independent offshoot.

We light-heartedly refer to ourselves as 'Vikings', due in part to meeting through Viking Preparedness, but also because it seems a perfect template for a prepping community that can produce its own food, and look after its animals, and also train to fight, and protect each other when necessary.
I’m coming a bit late into this...I apologise in advance as I am slightly confused. You say your group isn’t religious as such but you met through Pastor Joe Fox....am I missing something?

Ahh wait *just looked him up* this is making a little more sense about now. An intriguing idea for sure.

If you guys do meet-ups how are you factoring covid at this time?

I wonder if this what Arwen the bard wanted for their prepper community...I shall ask on their post. You should check it out. ;)
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted: