Hello from East Sussex

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
MoonWatcher

Hello from East Sussex

Post by MoonWatcher »

I don't really consider myself a hard core prepper, but on the other hand I vividly remember finding myself stuck in the lake district in the middle of a two week holiday at the exact same time as the fuel protests began way back in 2000. My car had half a tank of fuel to last that week and to get me home. Within hours I found that all the local petrol stations were dry. The next day every station within 50 miles was dry and also every small coop type shop had been cleared of milk, bread, tea, coffee etc. By the time I was at the end of that 2nd week I was looking at a 6 hour drive home with nowhere near enough fuel. I think I was very naive at the time, because I was genuinely surprised at how quickly the means of production and an existing and very large supply train was brought to its knees after just a couple of headlines and a few refinery blockades.

It was a learning lesson for me

I then began prepping - slowly building a dedicated store of food that I call our PES (Personal Emergency Stock). The idea was to build in a buffer stock to permit two of us around 6 weeks of behind doors living - even if power and water failed. I used a combination of very long life foods (freeze dried), along with tinned goods and staples like dried milk, potato etc. I started learning how to shoot with air rifles (I now build my own) out to a range of roughly 50 yards, so that small game could be a possibility under the right circumstances. I learned the basics of fire starting, water cleansing + filtration and knife handling techniques (types of knives, means of sharpening, methods to use for shelter, kindling, cooking, gutting etc) when off the beaten track. Generally these skills all sit fairly dormant...

It's been fun learning the dissimilar skills required and at the same time bringing along my wife with my plan and my thinking so that she contributes and is an important part of the preparation... the value of which tends to become all to clear to both of us when facing circumstances such as we have now.

Anyway before I'm allowed to post, I wanted to say hi.

So... Hello

MoonWatcher
korolev

Re: Hello from East Sussex

Post by korolev »

Morning !
I'm in East Sussex too, on the coast where the chalk finishes
bobble

Post by bobble »

Hi Moonwatcher, welcome to the gang!😃
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, Moonwalker - sounds like you've got things pretty well sorted. I'm another bod in Sussex, inland :)