Bug in only option

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Rasolam

Bug in only option

Post by Rasolam »

Greetings to you all.
I hope you are all getting through the current pandemic safely.
This afternoon I was thinking about my current situation and the question of bug in or bug out (or both as most do)
Due to a disability I am unable to bug out. I was wandering if anyone else is in the same situation as I would like to compare notes/ideas if you would like to.
Look forward to hearing from anyone regarding this
Cheers
Ras
cbp125

Re: Bug in only option

Post by cbp125 »

I have far to many young children to bug out. I used to enjoy wild camping etc before starting my family, but now it is not an option. I now view bug out as a single persons thing escaping a city or an extreme choice if you are driven out. Other than that is is better to stay put and bunker in
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Bugging Out (as in "Run for the Hills") probably wouldn't work in this country, not that many wild places to go.
On a footnote, the Welsh police were pretty much blockading the borders this week to stop people.

The 'Soft' Bug-Out, in other words going to a hotel/mate's house/temporary shelter. Is much more likely... search for Hotel Bag or HOB.

Leaving your home should be the last resort, after all, all your preps are there
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

From what I have seen, read and heard in the last ten years most of us in the Uk and many overseas are now focusing on bugging in with only the single younger men still planning living in the wild.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

preppergb wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 am From what I have seen, read and heard in the last ten years most of us in the Uk and many overseas are now focusing on bugging in with only the single younger men still planning living in the wild.

LOL I think this is very true. I admit I have Bug Out bags in the hallway for us but this is a total last resort if we need to leave.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Trojanhorse wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:41 am
preppergb wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 am From what I have seen, read and heard in the last ten years most of us in the Uk and many overseas are now focusing on bugging in with only the single younger men still planning living in the wild.

LOL I think this is very true. I admit I have Bug Out bags in the hallway for us but this is a total last resort if we need to leave.
I met a group of younger guys at a meerting in Derbyshire, loads of kit, nicely rigged out 4x4s , lots of cammo kit, fieldcraft gear etc. it looked well thought out for fit healthy youngish males to survive 3/4 of the year, but I doubt very much that the wives, kids and grand parents would relish spending a harsh winter in a basha or the back of a van. Maybe for a few days but it would be brutal for any longer period of time.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

preppergb wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:31 am

I met a group of younger guys at a meerting in Derbyshire, loads of kit, nicely rigged out 4x4s , lots of cammo kit, fieldcraft gear etc. it looked well thought out for fit healthy youngish males to survive 3/4 of the year, but I doubt very much that the wives, kids and grand parents would relish spending a harsh winter in a basha or the back of a van. Maybe for a few days but it would be brutal for any longer period of time.
I think the fuel would run out on most of them before they got too cosy, plus farmers are very sharp eyed and would spot most of them from a long way off calling the police in to move them on. Also the wide spread use of drones would also make tracking them down very fast so I no longer see this as an option.

I have no problem with survivalists kitting up and playing in the big outdoors, it is a very healthy hobby with lots of positive learning for prepping but not as a serious bug out option in survalance UK...
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

cbp125 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:39 am
preppergb wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:31 am

I think the fuel would run out on most of them before they got too cosy, plus farmers are very sharp eyed and would spot most of them from a long way off calling the police in to move them on. Also the wide spread use of drones would also make tracking them down very fast so I no longer see this as an option.

I have no problem with survivalists kitting up and playing in the big outdoors, it is a very healthy hobby with lots of positive learning for prepping but not as a serious bug out option in survalance UK...
I have no problem with them either I wish them well, but I think its going to be a logistical nightmare at best for many of them if they try to stay out in the woods for months with their families. And as you say they will have land owners, park rangers, possibly even the military to contend with as well. HOWEVER those I met were well motivated and thinkers so if anyone can survive in the wilds its likely to be those guys, after all they practice enough.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

You need somewhere specific and safe in mind to bug out to, otherwise you are just a slightly better equipped refugee.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"