Hello Preppers!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Tomsky02

Hello Preppers!

Post by Tomsky02 »

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to prepping but Covid-19 has certainly opened my eyes to how fragile our economy and social structure can be. Reading through some posts, I realised I don't even have a torch in the house!

It's nice to look through some posts and see that this is clearly a friendly forum. It's also great to read that it's not all about fending off looters and zombies with a short-barrelled shotgun. Mostly just being sensible as far as I can tell.

Looking forward to getting started.
izzy_mack

Re: Hello Preppers!

Post by izzy_mack »

welcome to the forum, yes this is a friendly sort of place, most of the time. The usual advice given to a beginner doesn't quite apply at the moment. Normally we would say try and build up supplies, aim for a weeks worth and build on that and depending on your financial position a month. If you can't afford that in a oner, buy an extra tin or two whenever you go shopping and slowly but surely you'll get a stockpile. Right now that's a bit of a dream but I'm sure you'll do the best you can. Remember to try and buy what you normally eat anyway if you hate tinned peas you won't fancy them later- unless you're starving! Try (another dream at the moment) to squirrel away a little cash, if the ATM went down and card machines weren't working you'd have something to get basics with.
If you have a garden grow what you can to eat.
Use any time just now to learn. whatever you think may be useful to you. How to start a fire, how to make water safe to drink, how to make stuff you'll know what you fancy and I don't know your position but you may have the time now. Good luck.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome.I would agree with the above advice.Also,at this particular time,look around your home and see what resources you do have.Food in particular.Work with what you have,waste nothing.There are some good websites out there helping you use what you have.like this one:

https://cookingonabootstrap.com
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Hello and welcome. Yes, you're right - no guns, no zombies and, more importantly - no conspiracies.

Lots of good resources on here for you, hope you find them of value. :)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome, Tomsky - yes, you're right, this forum is much more about torches and little cooking stoves and spare keys and a bit of water (okay, quite a lot of water) in case of a water main break. I had another little lesson just yesterday - I washed a rucksack (not a thing I usually do, but these are the days we live in) and my lovely lightweight single AAA battery torch was still inside, its now dead as a dodo.

Echoing jansman's recommendation of the cooking on a bootstrap blog - very, very detailed information about how to make balanced meals on a real shoestring budget.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.