Hi from Nottinghamshire

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Oakelm

Hi from Nottinghamshire

Post by Oakelm »

Just a quick hello, amazed I haven’t found this forum sooner.

A little about me, I’m on the outskirts of Nottinghamshire, in my late 30s, female (just me, the OH and a sausage dog) and been prepping on and off for about 8 years. I only have a small supply due to space limitations in this house and grow my own in a small garden.

Given current madness at the supermarkets I’m glad I was already prepared. Came across the forum link in a comment on a news article about that. I think until now the OH has tolerated my mini prep and thought I was a little loony.

Looking to grab some tips for others, I’m a jar/canning/freezing storage of food at present but think I need to give drying/freeze dried food ago plus a bit more on the defense side whilst still being legal in the UK.

Looking forward to reading all your posts and hopefully I can contribute a little too. :D
hobo

Re: Hi from Nottinghamshire

Post by hobo »

Welcome! Have a look around and ask any questions you want. I hope you'll find us supportive.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Welcome, I'm new here as well, if you want to get into dehydrating, I'd suggest getting the biggest one you can get, But it is very good at bulking up my stores quickly.
Last edited by cbp125 on Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy

Post by andy »

Welcome :)

A small prep is 100% better than no prep, so that's a great start. Nice to know that we don't have to battle anyone else in the aisles for toilet roll :lol:

Me and the wife are into grow your own too so it would be great to share tips on that if you wanted :)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
omega man

Post by omega man »

Hi Oakelm and welcome,

I'm also just outside Notts. You've joined at an interesting time.. I'm sure you'll find this place a great resource, as I do.

May I ask what initially got you into prepping eight yrs ago?

OM
Oakelm

Post by Oakelm »

omega man wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:44 pm Hi Oakelm and welcome,

I'm also just outside Notts. You've joined at an interesting time.. I'm sure you'll find this place a great resource, as I do.

May I ask what initially got you into prepping eight yrs ago?

OM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

The above just made me think back and it was an odd reason I started.

I fell off a faulty ladder (damaged as I moved house and hadn’t noticed) going into my loft and fell about 8ft causing a brain bleed and chipped shin bone, could have killed me apparently due to the height. At the time I lived alone, so going to a local shop for food was a nightmare and out in the sticks a bit where deliveries weren’t really available. As soon as I could drive the car and get a bit of bulk I did as I was still recovering and didn’t know when was going to be a bad day health wise, I guess I just never stopped after that. Plus the bump to the head made my ‘what if’ part start working.