Hey From Wales!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Deeps

Re: Hey From Wales!

Post by Deeps »

Nic, there doesn't have to be an overriding reason to prep/store stuff, as you say, having that extra food etc for 'just in case' is enough of a reason in itself. Its easier if you have a 'target' of sorts though, even if its an set amount of 'stuff' that you want to keep handy. You mention bug out bags, have you any intention of running off to the woods ? Would it not be more likely that if you were forced to leave your house that you'd go to a friend or a hotel ? I don't have a 'bug out bag' although I'm out walking and camping on a regular basis, I'm going to take the chance that I'm not going to have to run off to the woods with 30 seconds notice. A hotel bag is much more practical, you can call it a hospital bag or whatever, you're more likely to get a call that a relative is in hospital or that its YOU that ends up in hospital and you can just tell whoever to grab that rucksack/bag in the corner.

Do you grow your own food, do you want to ? Prepping is different things to different people so if you figure out what it is you're looking to achieve then you can work towards it. If some 'bits' that are under the prepping umbrella don't work for you then don't do them but only you will be able to figure that bit out, no 'one size fits all' although there is a basic need for food, water and shelter.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

NicSmi wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:52 amAlthough i understand a little, i dont really even know what I'm prepping for as such, and hardly know where to start other than with the basics such as stocking up on little bits of food to keep us going for a week or two at a time etc. I dont know or cant think of any potential "disasters" or scenarios in this kind of area that would need for me to prepare i just like to be able to have the peace of mind knowing that I've got things there if they're needed - I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone reading this. It does in my head but I'm not grwat at explaining things haha
Honestly, prepare for the "everyday" disasters first: an overnight power cut during a snowstorm is no joke. Water mains break all the time, and water bowsers may run dry or be vandalised, or just very late arriving. What if you and your partner both had flu (ordinary flu!), do you have enough food in to tide you over? Cutting yourself with a power tool, do you have the dressings to cope with that, the NHS doesn't always hand them out? Do you have a radio that runs on batteries?

Once you prepare for the little stuff, you can get a much clearer idea of where you are. Another good thing to do is look at what your insurance company recommends, or look at what the Environment Agency recommends against weather-related incidents.

HTH
MaxPrep

Post by MaxPrep »

Welcome mate,

In response to part of your post. I’d probably say anyone that doesn’t do some kind of prepping are mad themselves. You don’t need a bunker or compound “even though both of those would be amazing” to get your prep on.

As was said above, if you have a family that’s literally the best reason to prep.

Max