Hi all

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Cupid_Stunt

Hi all

Post by Cupid_Stunt »

Just a quick note to say hi from Herefordshire, Area 7.
Ex-Forces, Combat Survival trained, and now living in a rural area, so need to be a little more prepared than the average bod.
I don't intend my family to be victims if, as, or whenever it all goes Pete Tong.
See y'all in the woods.
Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not all out to get me
jansman

Re: Hi all

Post by jansman »

Welcome. So what scenarios do you prep for? Many of us here prep for illnesses, job loss or supply issues. Others are full- on apocalypse. I myself, do not prepare for the latter.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum - lovely part of the world you're living in. Not sure I'll be out in the woods in quite the same way you're implying, but the woods round me are full of nuts and mushrooms - I've picked beech, hazel, and chestnut, and practised with acorns, soaking to get rid of the tannins and wotnot. Really great to do that :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:31 pm Welcome to the forum - lovely part of the world you're living in. Not sure I'll be out in the woods in quite the same way you're implying, but the woods round me are full of nuts and mushrooms - I've picked beech, hazel, and chestnut, and practised with acorns, soaking to get rid of the tannins and wotnot. Really great to do that :)
How did you get on with the acorns Arzosah?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum Cupid, hope you find the forum useful. All sorts of advice on here.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:14 pm
Arzosah wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:31 pm Welcome to the forum - lovely part of the world you're living in. Not sure I'll be out in the woods in quite the same way you're implying, but the woods round me are full of nuts and mushrooms - I've picked beech, hazel, and chestnut, and practised with acorns, soaking to get rid of the tannins and wotnot. Really great to do that :)
I only did an experimental amount, and I soaked them in a plastic container of warm water a couple of times, rather than in a running stream as recommended ... It was easy, because there's approx a billion oak trees round here :) I didn't go the whole hog and make flour, I just had little clumps, bits that I toasted/baked in my little halogen oven. I had a little taste on its own, and then chucked it in with my normal pesto :oops:

They were okay :oops: I don't think I took enough care over the process, really. At the time (a few years ago) I definitely preferred the gorseflower tea I also made. And the quince jelly from my own garden - but I've done nothing during 2019 :( I've found some new websites while thinking about your question, and I'll definitely have a proper go next season. The other contributing thing is having the space in the kitchen to process foraged goods like this - with my kitchen the way it was, it was really difficult, thats actually what I remember most.

I now have a research project for the last third of this year! Cupid Stunt, sorry for the hijack :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

That is interesting Arzosah. We also have the National Forest here!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Cupid_Stunt

Post by Cupid_Stunt »

Morning again to all, thanks for the welcome.
I don't tend to subscribe to the zombie apocalypse-end of the market, but having seen at first hand (elsewhere in the world) how quickly things can deteriorate when the snowflakes aren't able to get their iced-frappatino-latte-whatever when they want, how they want, I'm well aware that most of the "sheeple" out there have truly no idea how fragile our society is, given that most supermarkets only tend to carry 3 days stock at any one time. I therefore concentrate on having mitigations in place to ensure that my family survive the situation for the first 7 days (regardless of what caused "it" in the first place) - after 7 days, Darwinian selection will have thinned people out a bit, and certainly those without plans for drinking water won't have survived much beyond 3 days.
Cupid_Stunt

Post by Cupid_Stunt »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:52 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:14 pm
I only did an experimental amount, and I soaked them in a plastic container of warm water a couple of times, rather than in a running stream as recommended ... It was easy, because there's approx a billion oak trees round here :) I didn't go the whole hog and make flour, I just had little clumps, bits that I toasted/baked in my little halogen oven. I had a little taste on its own, and then chucked it in with my normal pesto :oops:

They were okay :oops: I don't think I took enough care over the process, really. At the time (a few years ago) I definitely preferred the gorseflower tea I also made. And the quince jelly from my own garden - but I've done nothing during 2019 :( I've found some new websites while thinking about your question, and I'll definitely have a proper go next season. The other contributing thing is having the space in the kitchen to process foraged goods like this - with my kitchen the way it was, it was really difficult, thats actually what I remember most.

I now have a research project for the last third of this year! Cupid Stunt, sorry for the hijack :)
No problem. 8-)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Cupid_Stunt wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:19 am Morning again to all, thanks for the welcome.
I don't tend to subscribe to the zombie apocalypse-end of the market, but having seen at first hand (elsewhere in the world) how quickly things can deteriorate when the snowflakes aren't able to get their iced-frappatino-latte-whatever when they want, how they want, I'm well aware that most of the "sheeple" out there have truly no idea how fragile our society is, given that most supermarkets only tend to carry 3 days stock at any one time. I therefore concentrate on having mitigations in place to ensure that my family survive the situation for the first 7 days (regardless of what caused "it" in the first place) - after 7 days, Darwinian selection will have thinned people out a bit, and certainly those without plans for drinking water won't have survived much beyond 3 days.
Good morning.Nice to see where you are coming from.

Just a heads-up,and me with my moderator hat on ( I am not having a go). UK Preppers is not like other prepping sites.whilst we all know that the general populace is blissfully unaware,we tend not to use the term ' sheeple'. We get slagged off by similar sites for being respectful and polite in all areas,but that's how we rock.Thanks.

Robert Frost.

Me.