Central London newbie

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Dadintrouble

Central London newbie

Post by Dadintrouble »

Hey all, been a lurker for a while and have been organising a while with bug out bags in various places etc.. wanted to ask if any one else is concerned about this virus out of China?
Arzosah

Re: Central London newbie

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, DiT - yes, a fair few of us are concerned. Is that one of your concerns? You've been lurking for a bit, have you managed to focus on any preps, whether skills or goods? Hope you've found something useful here :)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

Concerned for myself? No

Concerned for others without preps ? Yes
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Dadintrouble

Post by Dadintrouble »

I am more concerned about the general panic that may happen when it hits the Uk in the next week or so.. daily mail will create enough drama that I feel that it could be an issue..

Likely good of impact to me fairly low I have a few decent bug out kits in places around me along with food and water and enough understanding to get through a tough couple of weeks tbh with my family.

But panic buying and general shortages I can see being a real issue if it’s a large outbreak... I guess?

All the stats I’ve read and looked into are Vague and this could be there isn’t the knowledge or they don’t want to freak general public out....
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum. To be honest, this latest virus isn't something I'm losing sleep over. Yet anyway. If things change then I'll play it by ear.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Dadintrouble wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:31 am Hey all, been a lurker for a while and have been organising a while with bug out bags in various places etc.. wanted to ask if any one else is concerned about this virus out of China?
Welcome, welcome! If you've been lurking awhile I'm glad you've finally made the transition then! :)

Personally, I try to keep a watchful eye on most of these viruses as and when they arise.
The mathematical odds aren't in our favour, as one of these days there will be one we can't contain or immunised against fast enough. Overcrowded places are where it will breed like wildfire. So I believe we always need to remain vigilant. Its interesting how the viruses seem to mostly originate from china...
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
MaxPrep

Post by MaxPrep »

Personally until the virus wipes out the first few hundred in London then i'm not to concerned. I have a Pandemic prep kit BSL-2. But if there is going to be an outbreak of any viral pandemic it’ll be London that will get it.
Prep007

Post by Prep007 »

Hello and welcome!

I moved out of central London just last year but if I was still there I would be very concerned. Think your multiple bug out bags could come in useful and I'd be seriously avoiding areas of high concentration of Chinese residents and tourists.

I'd probably also schedule in some supermarket delivery slots now for the coming weeks to save yourself the hassle of trying to source from potentially limited supplies in the express shops.

Best wishes

Dadintrouble wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:27 pm I am more concerned about the general panic that may happen when it hits the Uk in the next week or so.. daily mail will create enough drama that I feel that it could be an issue..

Likely good of impact to me fairly low I have a few decent bug out kits in places around me along with food and water and enough understanding to get through a tough couple of weeks tbh with my family.

But panic buying and general shortages I can see being a real issue if it’s a large outbreak... I guess?

All the stats I’ve read and looked into are Vague and this could be there isn’t the knowledge or they don’t want to freak general public out....
Dadintrouble

Post by Dadintrouble »

Thanks for the replies. That’s the issue
I guess with living in London!

I have enough supplies
To get me and the family through a couple
Of weeks across a couple
Of different locations so not too concerned initially. But interestingly I started seeing people wearing face masks
Around London which except for the odd tourist is unusual. Also a couple
Of big supermarkets I
Popped into over the weekend didn’t have the large multi litre water bottles for sale.. not sure if this is a sign of what is to come with people panic buying etc
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Dadintrouble wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:31 am I have enough supplies
To get me and the family through a couple
Of weeks across a couple
Of different locations so not too concerned initially.
Not quite sure what you mean by that - would you have to go out and get the supplies? Think of how long this is rumbling on in Wuhan - it wouldn't be the same, of course, but it wouldn't be good.