Hello from the Rossendale Valley

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Mooseshooz

Hello from the Rossendale Valley

Post by Mooseshooz »

Hi there , new member so go easy on me. I've been slowly formulating my prepping plans over the last few years and buying odd bits of kit that can double up as wild camping accessories such as water treatments and lightweight gear. Recently started building a small stock of non perishable foods and water , but only a couple of weeks worth so far. I'm hoping to learn a few tips and tricks from the pros on here that will make my preparations a little easier, plus hopefully make some friends in the community. Got a small family to look after and a wife that thinks I'm a little nuts 🙂Living in the north of the UK water isnt much of an issue but food is more of an issue so I'm hoping to take some foraging courses soon.
pseudonym

Re: Hello from the Rossendale Valley

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome Moose! You mentioned foraging :) :) :) and you're in the Rossendale Valley - which means you've got a huge array of landscapes really close to you. I don't have anyone on that side of the Mersey any more :( but I've been foraging around Southport and Ormskirk for rose hips and crab apples, very successfully. Anything particular round you that does well? Or are you up for a spot of guerrilla gardening?
hobo

Post by hobo »

Welcome. Now you had a question about Coronavirus prepping? Please would you repost?
Thanks!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome Moose, hope you find the forum useful. Nothing wrong with starting small on the scran (having at least some water to hand is useful too), from little acorns... etc. and having some is better than none. My missus is still a little sceptical about it but as time has gone on and its proved useful one way or another she's mellowed a bit but its been a long process. Good luck with yours.
Mooseshooz

Post by Mooseshooz »

Well that's the issue I guess. Tons of potential but no real idea what may be good and safe to eat. I try my hand at gardening but I guess there's only so long you can live on peas and strawberries 😃
unsure

Post by unsure »

hello .
really nice place to be .i lived up in bacup for a while and still have family in waterfoot .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
raz

Post by raz »

Hey welcome to the forum... im living in the rossendale area aswell depending on the season theres plenty of good foraging spots around an if I remember rightly whitaker park was given over to the public to grow all types of edibles after a bunch of people started planting seeds everywhere.