New comer.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Turkey Doughnuts

New comer.

Post by Turkey Doughnuts »

Hi all.

I am located in Warwickshire and new to prepping I came to the realisation of it's increasing importance after living abroad for a few years and coming back to what was to me a clear state of decay in the UK. I have also had some jobs in a few minor public positions that gave a wider snap shot of the state decay and what may be coming. I had seen enough to notice something is wrong in the grander picture.

I have been growing crops for a few years focusing on winter growing and getting to grips with related skills. Currently learning to preserve food without electricity grow flax and process it into usable linen, that did not go so well this year as while I was able to grow and harvest, the wet weather in the area this year caused it to rot too far to be useful. I do not think it is going to go away either I will have to try and come up with some kind of covering.

I have some minor military training, I can garden as mentioned, I am also trained in archery, electronics repair and animal preparation.

The challenges I foresee are my location, health, and low income. The effects of which manifest as living in a room within a shared house so storage is limited to my bedroom and I have no option to strengthen any access points. I am unable to buy a property or even rent a while one so this handicap is something I am going to have to find a way to work around. I have an allotment so the idea of trying to have some kind of hidden storage there has crossed my mind, hopefully people will be too busy looting surface fruit and veggies to notice a hidden entrance.

For my health challenge apart from some past trauma I have asthma to contend with. The medication has a 3 month shelf life and so can not be relied upon and I have been searching for more accessible treatments. By trial and error I have found putting my head over boiling water with a towel helps immensely. I have also read ancient Greeks used to treat it with eucalyptus but at the time of writing I am not sure how feasible that is in the UK.

So there you have it, my introduction and list of my strengths and challenges to overcome.
jansman

Re: New comer.

Post by jansman »

Welcome to UK Preppers. It sounds like you have made a good start. An allotment is a great asset! Regarding your asthma, breathing exercises can help. I have asthma, and it works for me. Just do a search, there is loads out there.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Turkey Doughnuts wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:54 pm Hi all.

I have also had some jobs in a few minor public positions that gave a wider snap shot of the state decay and what may be coming. I had seen enough to notice something is wrong in the grander picture.
Great intro, thank you.
Feel free to share any intel from your public positions.
Cheers, Hobo
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi there, welcome to the forum! An allotment, growing and preserving your produce, will give you loads of skills that will be useful your whole life, no matter what your situation, good for you. Your other skills also sound incredibly valuable.

Very sorry to hear about the past trauma and the asthma :( and I totally agree about the towel over the head and steaming - used to do a lot of that as kids, as needed!

Eucalyptus - it does grow in the UK, actually, but is mint as good, something like that? Clearing the passages, that sort of thing? I'm sure there must be some herbal help, though it may be quite minor compared to what your medication can do.

Hope there's lots of information here that seems useful to you.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Now that's an intro... :mrgreen:

Hello and welcome to the Forum.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
unsure

Post by unsure »

hello and welcome .
you can get menthol crystals from any chemist for not a lot of money . put in your hot water and do the towel trick . just put a small pinch in

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Care-774893-Me ... T7QC0BHM7Y
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Had a look at the menthol crystals link, thanks for that, unsure.

And now I'm fascinated by the forum name you chose, OP - Turkey Doughnuts! Memorable :) and there's got to be a story there. If it doesn't identify you, do share!
Turkey Doughnuts

Post by Turkey Doughnuts »

Thanks for the suggestions all, will check them out.

As for:
Arzosah wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:31 am
And now I'm fascinated by the forum name you chose, OP - Turkey Doughnuts! Memorable :) and there's got to be a story there. If it doesn't identify you, do share!
Sorry to disappoint, but there is no story there :(
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Ah well - good opsec and all that :mrgreen: thanks for the reply. "Arzosah" is an intelligent dragon who hates most humans, but really likes a few others, though they sometimes betray her. She has some great one liners :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Turkey Doughnuts wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:41 pm Thanks for the suggestions all, will check them out.

As for:
Arzosah wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:31 am
Sorry to disappoint, but there is no story there :(
Welcome to the forum, good intro. I've a mate who comes up with different and unusual names for when he's on forums or even his youtube channel. I hope you find the forum useful.