Hello from the South West.

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Kerry9

Hello from the South West.

Post by Kerry9 »

Hello from a total Prepper Newbie,

I have joined this site and forum to read and learn. Not only because of an extreme theoretical Brexit or natural disaster nightmare scenario, but more generally to learn what I need to know, do and get, to survive, if nothing returns to normal for weeks, months or years - i.e no utilities, no mobile networks, no Police, no medical services - all the things we take so easily for granted.

So am looking forward to reading and learning. Jim Cobb's book is OK for the US scenario but has good general advice, and Daisy Luther's ' The Prepper's Water Survival Guide' has just come through my letter box.

Much to learn :)
Arzosah

Re: Hello from the South West.

Post by Arzosah »

Hello Kerry, welcome to the forum.

I think a lot of us start off by getting jolted about the realisation of how much could go wrong, eg the scenarios you mention. As we (I, actually!) start to get more prepared, I realise that the extreme stuff keeps on not-happening here in the UK, though it *does* happen elsewhere. But even in this country, stuff happens - riots, fires on the moors in droughts, floods, electricity cuts, disruptions of all sorts. And the extreme stuff *might* happen here, no-one can guarantee it won't, of course.

Take it one step at a time - food, water, a way to cook/heat your supplies, some hygiene equipment (toilet rolls! Hard to have too many toilet rolls!). We're coming up to autumn and winter, when preps are often most needed, so its a good time to become more aware.

Keep going, keep posting.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum Kerry, the best advice I can give is take your time and figure out what will work for you. And enjoy it. ;)
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Hi and welcome! Start off small and basic and take it steady! Gather a store cupboard of food, toiletries and first aid to see you through a couple of weeks of no access to food shops, get stuff for emergencies such as power cuts and a bag of useful bits to grab and go with in case of evacuation from home due to flooding, gas escape, storm damage to your home etc and you will be more prepared than most folk out there. Happy reading around - loads of useful info on the forums here. Start off small, take your time as Deeps said, and work up from there :) Feel free to ask anyone here for advice - we're a decent bunch!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Kerry9

Post by Kerry9 »

Many thanks, great advice. Jim Cobb's book is really cheering me down at the moment - the scenario that utilities, rule of law, communications, never recover. Maybe I should become a ham radio operator and start buying rifles? Someone did advise that if the S really does HTF, then get away from conurbations and try to find an agri- commune in the country.
I think that is an extreme albeit worse case scenario, and that one can be prepared for lesser events. Shame there is no Prepper's Convention...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome. All the above advice is what you could do with following. American Survivalist books are somewhat sensationalist,and as a newcomer to the topic,will scare the bejeesus out of you! As already stated,start small.Some extra food in.Some easy cook,or no cook food too.Torch for a powercut,portable radio and spare batteries for both.A drop of stored water for when a JCB accidentally smashes a water main.You get the idea. Prepping is about being able to handle the problems that tend to blindside you.

My wife has been rather ill of late,and I needed to take a lot of time from work.Now,I don't get paid if I don't work,for any reason. This is where the preps came in handy.Freezers rammed,shelves rammed,garden full of veg,coal bunker rammed and emergency funds available to cover lost wages. That is UK Prepping.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Kerry, I'll back up what Jansman says, I'd concentrate on the day to day stuff that is more likely to happen than concentrate on the 'end of days' stuff. Something else to consider about getting a firearm, if you did, do you think you could shoot something or somebody (assuming you're inspired by US fiction) ?

Food, water, warm gear etc would be of more use, there are plenty of cheap options for cooking too. If you do a rough list of your potential problems it will give you something to work towards. Are you prone to flooding or other weather effects, is a loss of utilities an issue, it will be unique to you. Not very rock n roll compared to your US prepper fiction but being able to provide potable water and warm food will keep you and yours going. Speaking of "yours", if you're prepping for kids, things that will keep them amused but don't use lecky are handy too.

A lot of this stuff has been discussed on here before so have a nose around and see what resonates with you.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Another thing to consider about firearms (or any weapon for that matter) - its very unlikely that here in the UK the rule of law will breakdown for any length of time and when it is restored after a few days then you need to be able to justify (probably in court) your actions and show that you only used appropriate force to defend yourself. Shooting someone is likely to be way above what would be deemed appropriate and probably get you put in prison and completely unable to protect your family. You also need to be able to live with yourself afterwards.
Anyhows, enough of discussion about weapons. Better leave it there, bit of a minefield so to speak ;-)
unsure

Post by unsure »

hello ,
on top of everything that`s been said all ready .
i prefer to think of prepping as a insurance policy . makes little difference if its bad weather , the last minute wagon delivery not getting through, or just plain good old fashioned sickness .
if anything was to disrupt the normal day to day things , i think the public would go mad over what food was left in the shops , if they`d fight over a tv on black friday image what could happen when food runs low .
I for one would rather stay home and let them get on with it .
what you choose to cook on if the utilities fail is down to you , some have a log burner , some have small camp cookers or even a kellie kettle .
as been said , it all boils down personal choice .
just take it slow ,it wont all happen over night .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
jansman

Post by jansman »

Last week when it was absolutely lagging down with rain, I discovered a roof leak in my aviary. Being the prepper I am, I pulled a tarpaulin from stock, and made a temporary repair. That’s another prep; tools and repair materials.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.