Hi

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Jillybean

Hi

Post by Jillybean »

Hi, I'm new to actual prepping, but have been fighting the compulsion to for a very long time (friends think I'm crazy enough). However, I've finally given in and have made a speedy start (feeling like there is a timer hanging over my head on count down). I caved to my instincts in January. So far I have created a pantry and filling it, learned about alternative cooking, made a rocket stove and my youngest and I have had a few trial runs. A few improvements need to be made, but I'm happy. I have a cob mini (tester) rocket stove before moving on to a larger version. My 'greenhouse'' and cold frames are just waiting for better weather to finish them off. I've also managed to incorporate water saving into it (just need a new water butt as mine has a crack). I've been reading up on so many things and learning to make bread (that my family will eat) from scratch. Now looking to create a bug in box.

It's just all so overwhelming and wondering how far I go. My hubby is tolerant as long as I don't take him shopping with me too often. I'm also looking into solar chargers, as I will need access to all the books I have downloaded onto my kindle. Although I'm building my 'SHTF' folder of things I feel may be helpful.

Looking forward to learning much more 😀
jansman

Re: Hi

Post by jansman »

Welcome. Have a look around, ask questions, and slow down. Sounds like you are streets ahead of most folks. You can learn a lot here, and that will save you effort and cash too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum and as Jansman says.... slow down.... I know that sounds counter intuitive (and not what you expect to hear on a prepper forum) but a lot of us have jumped in and tried to do it all NOW wasting money. Take a gamble that whatever you're prepping for isn't going to happen in the next week and do your research. You can still do the basics like stockpiling water, tinned foods etc but it gives you time to look at what your personal priorities are and work towards them. It sounds like you're off to a good start, what is it you're prepping for ????

I hope you find the forum useful, I have and its a mine of knowledge, if you can't find what you're looking for ask the questions and enjoy the whole prepping process. :)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome Jilly - you've made a great start! Especially well done for testing out the rocket stove, thats so important. Though yes, what the guys are saying - once you get into solar chargers, you need to do the research, find out what the brand names are that you trust, what you really *need*, that sort of thing. And there's loads on the forum about this stuff, believe me. Enjoy :)
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

Thanks, I have been trying to switch off in the evenings. I'm a stay at home mum (I have an autistic child who requires my time to be flexible). I've been prepping in my head and dreams for years, making plans for what I would do in whatever situation. I also love zombie novels (survival not so much the extreme gore). If I'm honest I'm unsettled by the uncertainty of brexit, whilst I hope things are not as bad as they could be, it feels foolish not to be prepared in someway (it's also a good excuse to start being more prepared). I also think we are so reliant on others that learning some forgotten skills is no bad thing.

I'm currently in parent mode so I can't get as much done as I would like, but am trying growing from kitchen scraps this week, and hoping to get in the garden. I have been looking here and already found some interesting reading 😊
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome. The fact you are doing something now puts you ahead of the curve of most of the population.

Just play the what if game.

What if the electric/gas went out?

What if the car was stolen?

Etc... and work out your scenarios to offset them occurring or if not possible, how to fix the outcome.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

pseudonym is right, of course - just the act of thinking what you might do makes movement easier in an emergency. What if ... your house was built on a flood plain, and there was a local alert at 11pm and on looking out you see water creeping down the street? What do you do? You have a child/children, they're dependent on you of course, at that stage your choices are "evacuating upstairs" or running in front of moving flood water. Upstairs, what would you need? Clean water, snacks, your (fully charged) mobile, warm clothes, a torch (one or two more wouldn't hurt :) ), that sort of thing. Nothing that you have to do *now*, just thinking about stuff, thinking usefully not worrying.

HTH
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

If nothing else, you will be the one house in the street that has lights and hot food in a powercut, or you will be the one person who doesn't have to hare down to the shops at the last minute when there's snow forecast. It's great to be a prepper :mrgreen: