New Prepper Oxford

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
amicoalfie

New Prepper Oxford

Post by amicoalfie »

Hi guys,
fairly new to prepping and been looking for a site with like minded folk for a while, somewhere I can bounce some ideas off other people while I learn what im doing. Hopefully this is the place.

Im not exactly sure what im prepping for at the moment, but I would like to work my way up to be able to survive for 6 months. So far ive just started storing Water (25ltr plastic jerry cans). Food ( tins, survival biscuits, dried food in mylar bags) camping stoves, torches, candles, radios, knifes, machetes, and medical supplies.
Ive got a wife, young child and another on the way so if the shtf I would be looking to stay put and batten down the hatches.

Looking forward to reading some posts and learning a bit.

any advice on anything I might of over looked so far would be appreciated.
Arzosah

Re: New Prepper Oxford

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're well on the way, and there's a lot of information here to take in. Just a word on the machetes and knives - both actions and *talk* have to be UK-legal, otherwise we're all in deep doodoo.

What are the survival biscuits like? They don't sound particularly ... appetising :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum, from your list you don't mention water purification, there are plenty options. Hope you find the site useful.
korolev

Post by korolev »

hello :ugeek:

I'd suggest some tools (If you don't have them already) and some materials/knowledge to be able to fix things (basic electrics/plumbing/carpentry).
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome

Start stockpiling nappies ;)

How's your fire safety preparation.

Before you get 6 months of stuff stockpiled domestic housefires account for something like 300 fatalities every year, that and you protect your preps
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Ara

Post by Ara »

Rather than stockpiling nappies, get reusables. I'm still using some of the terry squares my children used (they're well grown up now) as cat towels. I think they are a brilliant resource as you can use them for so many other things than the intended ones. OH keeps a couple in the car as they are good cleaning cloths. You can get some brilliant coloured ones these days which weren't available when my 2 were babies.
amicoalfie

Post by amicoalfie »

Hi guys thanks for replies
The knive/machete were brought from a UK preppers website and it said they were UK legal, I had to give a copy of my driving licence before I brought them so pretty sure I'm not in any trouble, there stored in my loft with everything else so no chance of my kid getting his hands on them either.
I have some water purification tablets, I have a massive water tank in my loft which is mains water fed, so the water is clean even if the plastic tank isnt, I had planned to use the tablets to make this water drinkable, and use it for cleaning, flushing toilets etc.
I'm pretty stocked up on tools, I'm a painter decorator by trade but turn my hand to most trades so have most bits.
Disposable nappies is a good shout will look into stocking up on that. can anyone advise if powdered baby milk would be ok to store in mylar bags?
I read a post on here about piercing the original bags of dried food and then putting them inside mylar bags, would it be ok to mix sugar, salt dried herbs spices this way? Obviously care would have to be taken so stuff doesn't spill into each over but I'm just thinking I dont need a massive bag of salt so dont want to waste a whole bag on that ( I only have large bags)
I've also invested in the book Food for free which was recommended on a post on here, just thought after 6 months I'm screwed so being able to find food in the wild to supplement my supply is a good idea.
Thanks again
jansman

Post by jansman »

You don’t need to Mylar salt. Keep it dry, it lasts forever. Even if damp, just let it dry out. Even sugar can be just kept in an airtight container. I use a lot for brewing, and even if it does get slight damp and ‘cakes’ , it soon breaks up.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
amicoalfie

Post by amicoalfie »

Oh right great, see I'm learning stuff already :)
korolev

Post by korolev »

As far as spices go, I bought big jars of chilli powder, coriander, cumin and garam masala about 10 years ago and am still using them with no ill effect (apart from being 3 stone heavier).