Hi, new/returning member

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Kathymw

Hi, new/returning member

Post by Kathymw »

Hi. I'm actually a returning member but life got in the way of keeping up. Still been thinking and trying to prepare tho, but it's been very slow. brexit (aaahhhhhh!) of course is centring thoughts. It's just my husband and I, plus 2 cats. We're all knocking on, and it's just myself who's concerned about the future. I'm going to be trying my best to keep us prepared. Thank you :)
Deeps

Re: Hi, new/returning member

Post by Deeps »

Welcome back.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome back to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome back, Kathy - its amazing how Brexit has concentrated the mind, isn't it! What steps are you looking at taking?
Kathymw

Post by Kathymw »

Hi. I've been gathering extra food and water anyway, even before the dreaded brexit. Then think I saw mention somewhere the other day that UK might not be able to meet energy needs as a new power station has been cancelled or something. So I suppose I need to think about ways of cooking at some point. Have never used camping stove, are there other easy methods?

More for my list.

Main thing is if we had to leave home for a few days. Otherwise stick it out here.

Regards
Kathy
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

A camping stove is the easiest, most accessible, and probably most portable, for sure. Along with easy fuel, gas cartridges and the like. You can go on and on with that - bushcraft stoves, kelley kettles, rocket stoves, but a camping stove is the fast way forward. There's lots of threads on here about cooking, often including the reminder about not using them indoors. Halfords, Millets and Wilko are your friends in this matter :)
Kathymw

Post by Kathymw »

Cooking in garden then roadkill. Will look out for things and then get husband to do it :).

So much to do and no time to do it. It's up to me really, my husband is the ostrich type.

Thank you
Kathy
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Kathymw wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:18 pm Cooking in garden then roadkill. Will look out for things and then get husband to do it :).

So much to do and no time to do it. It's up to me really, my husband is the ostrich type.

Thank you
Kathy
Without getting too personal, what does hubby like to do?

Get him involved through his hobbies

i.e. fishing - "ooo better buy two lots of those floats at that price love"
cycling - "I had a puncture last time out better stock up on repair kits"

Dropping subtle hints like that will get him returning with a boot load of toilet rolls cause they were on offer in no time :lol: :lol:

"Prep through Training" has more than one meaning :twisted:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Kathymw wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 am Hi. I've been gathering extra food and water anyway, even before the dreaded brexit. Then think I saw mention somewhere the other day that UK might not be able to meet energy needs as a new power station has been cancelled or something. So I suppose I need to think about ways of cooking at some point. Have never used camping stove, are there other easy methods?

More for my list.

Main thing is if we had to leave home for a few days. Otherwise stick it out here.

Regards
Kathy
Take a couple of marching paces to think about what it is YOU (and yours) are prepping for. Don't get caught up in every bit of doom and gloom news, figure out what will work for YOU.

There are some basics you need to consider, water, food and shelter being your basics, I'm assuming you have somewhere to live so its a case of stocking things that you and yours will eat and drink. Something to cook with is probably next on the list and there are loads of cheap options, have a nose around the forums but the 'bistro stoves' and their rip off equivalents are perfect for the house. We had a gas leak the other week and had to isolate the gas supply to the house, I've got a vast array of camping stoves that run on pretty much everything, I broke out a simple bistro stove, for places where temp/height (above sea level)/wind aren't an issue they're fantastic.... and cheap. So is the fuel.

Now if its dark how are you going to see how to cook etc ? Torches are great but take up a hand, head torches are really handy (and can be got pretty cheaply) but you can also get 'non mains' alternatives for lighting rooms. Do you have power banks for keeping phones etc going ???

Even if you think you might want to end up having the option to run to the hills, its something to work towards if that's your plan but you'll not do it overnight. Start with the most likely and easy to do scenarios and progress from there. Don't be afraid to ask questions but make sure you've asked yourself the questions first so you know what it is you're looking to achieve.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Hello and welcome. :)